Crankshaft Pulley

93SC

Anyone ever had their crankshaft pulley break off while driving before? Just happened to me on the way home from buying the bloody car.

Any thoghts on things I need to be carefull of while trying to replace that thing would be welcome.

Thanks

Most likely it was your harmonic balancer that broke, and took the crank pulley with it. They have a tendency to do that. I would reccomend replacing it with a BHJ billet one(~$350), or if that is out of your price range, an OEM Ford unit. It most likely took out your crank sensor also, so be sure and check that. Those are ~$70 from Ford. Good Luck.

Thomas

Make sure you inspect the crank as well. If the balancer had failed for a period of time the vibration could have damaged the end of the crankshaft.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14051

Check this thread. Be very careful.... I hurried when I attempted (notice I said attempted) to drill out the broken harmonic balancer bolt. Hey maybe your pulley bolts just broke I have read that one on here. Anyway take your time. I you have a broken pulley bolt you only get one shot to drill it out. Most come out fairly easy. A left handed bit appears to be the best way to do it.

Take your time....

I am having to pull the engine out of my car to fix the same problem after I misdrilled it and messed the crankshaft up...

So I am now confused. I was taking a look at the car today and I felt down around the area of the pulley. There is still a bolt like right in the center. If the pulley was still on, the bolt would be behind the back side of the pulleuy about an inch or so and it seems to be right in the center.

So what I'm wondering is if the balencer is still there and the bolts that hold the pulley on just sheared off (I did find two of the bolts laying underneth the car when I got home and they were sheared off).

I realize that they are balenced together, put I'm just trying to figure out what I'm looking at.

Thanks

Yes, It sounds like the pully sheared the bolts off. But then you need to worry about why they sheared. Probably because they became loose. But how did they get loose?

That is the question. You'll want to take a hard look at the harmonic balancer to ensure it is not cracked or damaged. Vibration from an ineffective balancer would be a #1 cause for the pully bolts to work loose.

I recall checking the pulley bolts once probably two months ago during one of the weekends I came home. I only checked them by hand, but they were all tight. I wish I would have actually tried tightening them for the heck of it with a ratchet, but it never occurred to me that anything was wrong.

Hopefully it'll be a fairly easy fix. I'll try and help out if I can when I'm back in Minneapolis.

-Chris

Specs on the Crank for Machine Shop

I am in the process of replacing the Harmonic Balancer on my 90 SC.

I had a new engine installed 1½ years ago, yet, just lost my 2nd Harmonic Balancer since.

This time around, I am going with the Billet Solid Steel Balancer. Before I install this part though, it was suggested that I have a machine shop mic the crank to ensure it is true and isn't causing the balancers to fail... Does anyone have the exact specs needed for this?

Thanks!

Back