Cracked Valve Covers

38SCPROJECT

I bought a 92 SC just before X-Mas (what a present). I have notice that it has a few massive oil leaks. Most off the leaks appear to be coming from the valve covers. I have noticed that the drives side valve cover is CRACKED. I was just wondering why? I have another engine with good vlave covers (It is also SC) and I was just curious to why they crack.

Also.... Is there any diffrence between a 5sp oil pan... and an automatic oil pan?

thanks for the help

Tim

I have a '89 5spd out back that I don't drive because of a leakin' valve cover, that and I just plain don't like the car. It had a leak at the rear of the driverside cover, I removed it to check it out & found that a fire caused by oil dripping on the cat had warped the cover. I figured magnesium is similar to aluminum and ya cain't flatten it back out so I gooped it up with silicone, didn't solve the leak but at least I tried. This doesn't answer your question about crackin' but just thought I'd let you know that you're not alone out there.
No tellin', somebody might have done a gasket job on yours in the past & got sumthin' caught under the edge like one of the little metal rings from the gasket bolt holes, that might've caused a leak & they tried tightening down the cover to cure it and the rest is history. Could be other scenerios, just thought I'd offer that one.
The good news is that a n/a driverside valve cover will fit in place of your cracked one.

About the oil pans, there's no difference in them that I've ever heard.

'bird

So how is your project coming? Are you going to rebuild the engine before you put it in the 92? When I looked at that car I thought that it had more than just a headgasket problem, but I figured that it could be fixed. I offered him $1,000 for it and he had to think about it. I think that you got a pretty good deal because the car is in great shape besides the engine.

My experience with magnesium is that it cracks pretty easily so you have to be careful when handling the valve covers and especially tightening them down. Don't over-tighten them.

Bob

Slow

Bob,

I thought that it might have a more serious engine problem also. I have let it run in the shop and it does not get hot or boil over, I haven't changed the oil yet, (just got back from vacation). I have a spare engine that I bought for a project, I've torn into it and it appears to be in A1 shape. So I am going to rering, and bearing it, and put it in my car. Also toying with the idea of installing a 5sp in the car, but I'm not sure yet.

Althought the engine has problems I did drive it 75 miles home and it did make it. I was kinda suprised, It started running bad about 1/2 way home, but it did make it home, and didn't use any antifreeze, no water in the oil either,

Go figure.
Tim

Back