i need an analysis please!!!!

89Cougar_XR7

Ok, Im sick and tired of doing searches. I can never find what i want. so i'm just gonna list the things that my car are doing and if anyone can tell the problem please do. i'm trying not to have to send my car to a shop cause there are no technicians in the area that deal with these supercharged cars.

1- idles horribly-at about 500-550 and it shakes real bad.

2-smoke-lots of it- all over

3-fluid coming out of exhaust-cant quite tell what it is

4-lots of mechanical pinging and knocking while idleing

5-runs fine when on the open highway-full power-no prblems there.

6- no coolent in oil resevoir so probly not a blown head gasket.

7-all spark plugs and wires were replaced yesterday

8-IAC is fine

9- MAF is fine

10-PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!

What color is the smoke and where exactly is it comming from? What color is the fluid out of the exhaust? Even though there is no water and oil mixing, is either one getting low? If the smoke is black, then you're flooding, probaly due to a sticking Idle Control.

Idle: The idle can be a number of things. The most likely culprits are engine mounts and O2 sensors.

Smoke: Well, that could be a bad sign. What color is the smoke and where is is coming from? White smoke is really bad.

Fluid in exhaust: Warm or when just started? There will be some normal condesation in your exhaust system which leave liquid coming out. Usually doesn't happen after the car is warmed up.

Coolant: Well, when you combine the coolant with the smoke, it sounds like a blown HG. I'd have to take a closer look though to be sure.

Pinging and knocking: Combined with the idle, makes it sound like the engine mounts are gone. How's the clearance on the oil filter?

And you are only about an hour north of me, I might be able to get away this afternoon to take a closer look at it and see what I can do for you...

007-that would be great if you could come take a look.

the smoke was from some coolent that was draining oujtof a hose that came loose somehow. probly from the engine shaking during idle. so no more smoke

a couple more things. the boost gauge is stuck between the 10 and 0 on the VAC side. and the engine check light does not come on. if that makes any difference in your analysis.

Check your private messages, 89Cougar_XR7. I sent you a couple so far. Just click on user cp at the top of the page. I can make it today, but need a meeting place or directions. Let me know ASAP as travel is about 45 min to an hour.

PCV or PCV hose connection

i just went through this on my sc

the rough idle, the stalling(well mine would stall), the vac gauge at 10 at idle , the smoke in the engine, all because of a simple PCV hose disconnected behind the inlet plenum..... the pcv itself is in the passanger side valve cover, and there should be a vaccum hose attatched to it, if its not, its fallen off and is down somewhere behind the plenum, we were able to find mine and reattatch it without pulling anything.

that hose is a postive crank ventilation hose that releases pressure in the engine, if it comes unplugged it leaves gasses in the motor that try to escape..... mostly out the dipstick, which causes oil to spirt out everywhere all over the motor and that causes the smoke around the engine compartment.....

you may have more problems than that, but from what your saying is going on, most of your problem sounds exactly like mine.

btw, the pinging and knocking could also be caused by that pcv cause my car would idle like crap and right before it died it sounded like it had a little bit of spark knock.....

i noticed a lot of condensation on my dipstick tube during this problem which could have also been in the exhaust and that fluid in your exhaust could be nothing more than good ol' h2o

i did get quite a few check engine lights with mine but that doesnt mean you would get them...i was getting o2 related codes for the way the car was running and a maf code because of the idle being off. but i havent gotten any CE lights since we put that hose back on, and my vac gauge now sits right at 20 in gear,

Last edited:
The Idle sounds like a possible vaccuum leak. Since you concluded the IAC and MAF are fine, and if a visual inspection of the vaccuum hoses doesn't tell you anything, do a propane test.

Have you or anyone else had the Intercooler or Supercharger tubes disconnected for any reason recently? ;)

i would almost bet money on that pcv hose, i had the typical signs of a tube vac leak but never could find it, and my tubes are extra tight because last year a shop gave me the car back with no sealant in any of the top tubes and i made them reseal ALL the tubes because it wouldnt idle....... so i knew my vac system was tight there (i always get almost 30hg when i let off the gas)

your best bet is to look around the area behind the supercharger tubes for a hose thats unplugged, it connects to a piece behind the inlet plenum, its hard to get your hands in there, we managed to get mine back on, but you might need to pull your throttle body to get at it, but i would almost bet money that this is your problem

I went and looked at 89Cougar_XR7's car last night. It was cold and dark, but only two problems to speak of right now, vacuum leak and bad engine mounts. pdennis93, you are right on with you idle problem. After hearing the car, that is exactly what it is. I know this because I had the same trouble after hooking up the vacuum hoses incorrectly. Yeah, a pain, for me, but 89Cougar_XR7 now has a good idea of what he needs to do. Warm weather predicted this week, so I think he'll be running strong by Wed. Smoke was from cleaning the engine, there wasn't any last night that I could see.

It was the PCV hose all along. thanx to you guys my car is running fine now.

hey that's my slogin!!!!!!

Gary1.JPG

I knew i saw it somewhere. i'll take it off my signiture now. peace out.

wait a tick i dont know how to change my signature!!!

don't worry about it......

I stole it from someone else but I didn't ever see them post again
unless it was yours to begin with. LOL ....But I ain't taken my sticker off though......

ok i put the PCV hose back on and it ran great.......for about 20 min. now its back to doin the same as before. could it be my exhaust leak coming out of my manifold on the left side. or maybe from puting toooooo much oil in?

HELP ME IM GOIN CRAZY WITH THIS CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back