D.I.S Help

pvtysux

Hello this is what i have a problem with. My car starts and runs fine. But after you shut it off and try to restart after a short time it will not restart for a hour of so. I think it is the iginition module or the D.I.S. If so what should I replace it with not the factory i want a after market. If you couls please help please if you even got any other ideas thanks. It is in a 1990 T-bird sc with 145000 miles. 5 speed. thanks

all DIS modules are the same, two style, new models or the original production runs. Try putting new HEAT SINK grease under the DIS module from Radio-Shack(white paste). If the amber UPSHIFT stays on while cranking your crank sensor is probably bad. If it starts but sputters your injectors might be leaking. Does it shut off or stumble at all when you are driving

The only aftermarket I've ever heard of is the MSD DIS-4 which is around 400$. You'll also need 2 tach adapters (or so I've read) which brings it to 500$. You're probably better of sticking to stock on this one (and I'm the kind who loves replacing anything with the word Motorcraft on it). The newer ones had the DUS in a different place, and I'm trying to find out where. I'm thinking of moving mine somewhere without as much heat (fenders?) and straping a Slot1 CPU Heatsink/Fan on it. Anyone think it's a good idea? Where are the DIS modules on the newer Birds (we tried to find the one on my Bro's 98 Stang with no luck)?

couple of things (ive been through the dis shortage fiasco of 00-01)

1. the DY655 and DY554 will work (655 is 91-93 and 554 is 89-90)

2. the reason for the change is most likely due to cyanide in the originals (theres storys of a few people injured and one person killed in a junkyard from getting exposed to a cracked open dis off of a SHO)

btw both of those got replaced by a newer model after the shortage ,DY9xx (i forget the last 2 digits)

3. the MSD still uses the factory DIS as far as i know (i thought about upgrading to one during hte shortage when mine failed)

4. your problem does not sound dis related... when mine went the car lost 2 cylinders and ran like ass but never stalled. it would throw check engine lights for coil pack failure but the coil pack was good (if the dis is bad the cp isnt getting a proper reading, ie the computer says its bad)

hope this all helps you

From what I've read so far, the MSD DIS 4 replaces the DIS module. I can't remember where I saw it but there was a how to on installing it. I could be crazy though, :D

the car runs fine until you shut it off. so does any one have any other ideas on what it is. thanks

Might be fuel related. It is possible for the fuel in the rail to become hot enough to boil after shutting the engine off. This seems to be a bigger problem with winter formulated fuels.

Try turning the ignition on and off several times to purge the fuel rail before starting.

David

Back