Hotel Reservation Info **CARLISLE 2003**

Bill McNeil

It is that time again when we start reserving in advance for our trip to Carlisle, Pennsylvannia to attend the ALL FORD NATIONALS from May 29th to June 1st (Thursday to Sunday). Every year this event gets even bigger, and as a result making resverations early becomes even more important.

Based on the thread we started entitled "Carlisle" which was active these past few weeks, it seems most people who are intent on coming are okay with the idea of leaving on Thursday the 29th, one day earlier than we have left in previous years. This initiative was brought about to help better appreciate the show over the actual three days it runs, and to avoid driving 16+ hours in 3 days. Based on the current plan, we will leave Thursday morning from the Hamilron area and arrive in Carlisle for a group SCCoO dinner that evening. We will all have the chance to check in to our rooms, familiarize ourselves with the area, socialize amongst ourselves and rest up after the long drive. Friday is mainly a swap meet day, but also gives everyone a chance to experience the fairgrounds and participate in the meet and greet before the cavalry arrives that evening. It has been my experience that most of the American participants arrive on Thursday or attend the show Friday, which we have not done in previous years. Anyway, enough rambling....feel free to ask questions regarding this or any other details. Ed and I intend to be very thorough with our plans for the trip.

Right now we are at the most crucial stage where we have to select a hotel that is suitable for price, quality and location, as well as adequate availability for such a large group this year. Normally the SCCoO attendies group together with the SCCoA group, but due to the ever-increasing amount of people who attend Carlisle each year, and the anticipated number of our members for this year, we have decided to group ourselves together at a hotel of our choosing.

As of right now, I am exploring the options of the Super 8 "North" and the Clarion Inn, both which are located 1 exit away from the fairgrounds off of the local highway. They are located on a street called "Harrisburg Pike", and are fairly close to each other at addresses of 1700 and 1800. This area is very idustrial/commercial and is away from the traffic and retail distractions that make the town busy and congested. I stayed at the Carion Inn in 2001, and Ed stayed there last year (2002). The Clarion Inn is an excellent hotel in both quality and location. The parking lot is more than adequate for all of us, and the hotel has a nice restaurant in the lobby. It is a fairly large hotel, and doubles as a conference centre. The Super 8 "South" is where I stayed last year, which many members have had several problems with. Either way, it is already fully booked for that weekend.

Soooooooo, the Clarion is $89.95 per night with 2 queen beds, and is available in smoking, or non. With a CAA member discount (which we should be able to swing), the price drops to $71.96, which is a very good price for these accomodations. I know quality is not a big concern for the small amount of time we will spend in the rooms, but most hotels will be less quality and cost the same, or more.

The Super 8 "North" is $84.99 per night with 2 double beds, and is available in smoking, or non. With a CAA discount the price only drops to $76.49, but they may have a group rate which I will be exploring ASAP. Keep in mind the Super 8 is far less quality (having stayed in both for the same price).

At this point, it is up to you guys to let me know what you want to do. I will continue to explore other options in the meantime, but I think these are very good options, especially from a price and location aspect.

Visit the website for more info :CARLISLE 2003

Last edited:
I just got off the phone with Choice Hotel's main line.

They have available at least 10 rooms at the Clarion Inn for those dates at the rate of $71.96 per room +8% state taxes.

I will be calling their group rate number during business hours tomorrow to see if we can go even cheaper on the price. Lets try and take advantage of this group of rooms if possible.

Keep in mind the idea of going to Carlisle with a group of people we all know is to share rooms and cut the cost in half.

So this would bring the cost closer to $35 USD per night, per person.

I think i will be joining you guys on this trip i'm just looking for someone to come with me because i don't want to sit in my car for 9 hrs by myself!

I will give you a forsure in the next week or 2!!!

but $80 buck a night 80 american is like $126 a night!! ?? there are no weekend speicals??

Thanx

jeff

Bill as I'm sure you know all ready from the first time you asked me this:D

I'm ready

Thanks Bill for all the work you have all ready done and for the rest of the work you will be puting in to this event. As I know from other events you have planed you have done a great job buddy.
let me know if there is anything I can do to help

Oh how I'd love to join you guys on that trip..but seeing as I have school.. and I don't drive, I have 3 words to say TAKE SOME PICTURES! heh. My dad and brother were gonna go down to the unvialing on the new bird, but couldn't make it. lol

See ya,
Christer

Already packed...........

Where we stay makes very little difference to us. Super 8, Clarion(though Clarion is better quility) My bags are packed, not sure if I will be in the BlackBird or a S/C, but We will be with the group,whatever it decides.
I noticed you said we will be meeting in Hamilton. Which route will we be using for the trip? I have always used 81 when travelling through there, or 15? Makes no diff to me, just always like to know which way I am going anywhere so I can get updated road conditions and discount coupons for the journey down.
Has anyone heard anything further about the T-Shirts? Just asking. Does anyone have a pic of the SCCoO logo I could use???

Room Sharing..............

Bev says she doesnt mind room sharing, but that if its with two other guys, she has major rights to the bathroom:D :D .
Also, we both smoke, so that needs to be considered.
She would like to know if any other wives are going??????????

I'm In!!!

I like the sound of the Clarion! I am a CAA member, so I could use my membership for a discount on at least one room! Between the Clarion and the Super 8, why wouldn't we go with the cheaper and better quality of the two, since that seems to be the criteria satisfied by the Clarion???

Cheers,

Sean

Hey guys,

Just wondering, do you guys go down to Calisle every year? Because maybe I might go one year lol.

See ya,
Christer

I'm ready to go!

It sounds like the Clarion is the best way to go. I don't really care who I room with. I get along with all of you guys. I also have CAA. Currently, I am a non-smoker, but I never know how long that will last. If you need to know right now, put me down for a non-smoking room. If I do start again, I can always go outside. I just want to go!!!

Kendra.

I'm in so far. Kendra, Andrew(lazybird) I'm in for sharing a room, pretty well with who ever will put up with me. Bill I like the sounds of the CHEAP place, many $$$ will be spent on this weekend trip to happy fun land of fats azz fords. I'd love to hit up the swap meet and bring back something for my dads '38.

Jason said it best. Excellent work Bill! Thanx muchly.
I'm not sure what my accomadations will be as of yet, but I will certainly share a room with whoever can put up with my smoking and immaturity. I have to find out if my buddy Chris and his wife are coming this year or not. I'll keep you posted.
THE ANTICIPATION IS KILLING ME!!!
No, SERIOUSLY!!

... so Bill... how do we make reservations?

Do we do it individually or as a group? I don't have a CAA, so is that $71 price for anyone?

I don't know what the arrangements will be for others, but my wife said she'll go, so that means my 13 year old will be going too...unless we abandon him for a few days - NOT - but on the other hand I could cook up 12 packages of KD and leave in the fridge :D

I'd rather get the rooms worked out early... I had to sell my Bristol NASCAR tickets last year because I couldn't find a place to stay within 2 hours of the place - no thanks.

Let me know Bill... and thanks for the efforts!

ROOMS

OMG....Bristol Tickets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I would have been sleeping in my car in the parking lot................
All kidding aside, I know what you mean. I go to Pocono every year for the races and make my resevations a week or so after the race.
We need some firm numbers for attendance, but I dont think we will have a prob filling ten rooms. If we do, Bev and I will take a room by ourselves and absorb the cost. I would be going irregardless, and paying full price even without the club.
It will just be so much better with a group of people who actually seem to know what they are talking about.
Bev and I will be staying in Pennsylvania for another week after the Meet, so wont be around for the trip back.
Bill, whatever plans you make are fine with us. Thanks for the effort.

I'M GOING

it's like being 8 years old and waiting to open your christmas presents. i can't wait to go.

i'll be coming and i'll be bringing my buddy along, he's a gm guy. there's two things that are good about that: one of my best friends is coming along, and you sc guyz could pick on him for being a gm guy and leave us 4.6 ers alone.

Detail will be follow this week. We may have to book independantly, but mention that we are all together. If this is the case, just tell them you have CAA and we'll figure it out later. They rarely ask to see it anyway.

If we book as a group....hopefully the CAA price will be guaranteed. If this happens, we will all have to call in and mention the group name to book together.

Either way...by the end of the week for sure. Stay tuned.

Back