twin supercharger?

35th_tbird

has anyone ever tried to do a twin sc setup? i've been thinking about this recently and was wondering how hard it would be.

thanks for the link. but how about a twin sc on our gen t-bird, or our 3.8L engine? what all would have to be done to do that to my engine? beside basics like strengthening the internals, and better flowing parts (i.e. heads, intake, anything that flows). thanks again.

To be honest, I don't think the effort would be worth it. It would be terribly inefficient and can be closely duplicated by just adding a smaller pulley, keeping in mind the max rotational rating of the supercharger.

Remember, SC's eat horsepower as well as build it. And two SC's eat twice as much. But I'm not sure they create twice as much due to other internal issues with our engines.

My personal opinion would be to get ideal high performance you would modify the engine to open up it's RPM range (say move readline at 7k) and then add a turbocharger with a bypass setup such that the Supercharger/Turbo would be running at low RPM's, but past, say 3000, the SC would cut out and the Turbo would be handling everything.

This would allow you to use a bigger turbo for the top end and hopefully give you peak power from about 900RPM all the way to 7K.

If it didn't blow up first.

I have thought about this in the past. In my opinion, it would be worth it. Yes, the parasitic drag would be significant, but isn't that the case right now? We are already losing 40-70HP depending on modifications and still seem to benefit from a single supercharger.

The problem I ran into is physically fitting two M90's within or around the stock fuel rail. The stock intake, rail, thermostat neck, etc... are all designed to nestle a single M90. When you try to shove two in there it gets way to tight. You can always go around that though by lifting the blowers up higher, but I can't imagine a longer SC belt doing much for efficiency. Not to mention, the only way I found it possible to put two M90's under the hood would require at least a 8 inch cowl........which is getting a little rediculous.

You couild probably install two M45's at a 45 degree angle to fit where the single M90 was, but you can do the math on that one. It would be pointless and probably more harmful than a single M90 due to the drag.

A M112 would fit....especially the 4th gen M112's cause they are even more compact. With an internal bypass it would just be a matter of blocking off your old bypass bung in the upper intake. You would have to measure the correct nose drive length, but it seems like it will fit alright. The custom work involved in this mod for just another 22 cid blower however its a little discouraging.

If you want to take on a custom blower project, the Whipplecharger 2300 series (can't recall the exact model) is a good fit and would probably work just as easily as the M112. It would for DAMN sure be worth the trouble. But be prepared to have an absolute torque monster. It would make ALL of its torque with the snap of a finger and be fairly spent by 5500rpm.

As for turbo projects..........the only problem is that our cars are not designed for high revs needed with a turbo as stated above. If you built the car accordingly then it might be ok, but I'm not so sure how streetable it would be. To get the kind of power needed to plant you back in a 4000lb car I imagine it would be kinda dead feeling down low and then ape **** up high. Just ask Ted Lyons about that kind of power......it's not very fun. Gets pretty aggrivating too when a street car with half the HP can give it a run cause it's got nothing down low and the going sideways up high.

I'm convinced that the aftermarket currently makes available everything I want out of my car. Numbers well over 300HP/400T at the wheels are being achieved now and the way the power is being made is my cup of tea.

Micah

thanks for the info. i'm just playing around with the idea right now. even if i was seriously considering it, it would take me a while to be able to afford it. so either way it would be a long ways away. i was just wondering if it would be a worthwile thought to pursue. that way i could plan now, and when i have the money, know exactly what i need to do. i'm still thinking about it but that turbo/sc idea has also gone through my mind before...even though that would be just as expensive. i guess i'll just keep dreaming and hopefully end up with a plan someday.

edit: yes these cars are capable of very good numbers, and i will be happy with it regardless of what i do to it, but i like to push things beyond their limits.

Last edited:
Well, maybe it won't be dead at 5500, but in terms of custom supercharger/turbo charger projects I would put the Whipple at the bottom of the list in top end potential compaired to a Turbocharger or Centrifugal blower. Surely it will rock over a M90 though.

The pics look good.

Micah

Here is a price run-down for the whipples...

3300AX $2,450
3300R $2,450
2300A $1,980
2300R $1,980
2300AX $1,980
1600A $1,760
1600R $1,760
1600AX $1,760
1200AX $1,660

Yep, a straight turbo on our v6 would bite.

and when I talk about efficiency, I'm talking bang for the work. Because of volumetric issues, two SC's would double the HP stolen, but not double the HP added.

But a SC with Bypass for both air, and the SC drive pulley would allow you to stage the power delivery so you get the SC mostly at 200 - 2500 RPM, then size the Turbo so that at 2500rpm, the turbo has just spooled up and is ready to hit the power hard as the SC bypasses and disconnects.

Just a crazy idea.

bonneville

hey guys, do any of you get into the bonneville salt flat races? theres some pretty wicked stuff their running down there! i was watching on Speed Channel about a semi truck trying to set a record and he was runnin a twin supercharged and QUAD-turbo setup. i don' know whether or not the superchargers were positive-displacement or not but i do know it was fast! i don't think you could run anything like that on the street though. what about octane requirements and all? oh well just ponder that one!

Back