white foam under oil cap? PCV, HG?

blkbird95

I found some yellowish white foam on the bottom of my oil cap. Is this a sign of something bad?

Also, I found a lot of oil in my intake tube, the MAF and TB were pretty much soaked. I think it might be a bad PCV because the only way oil can make it into the intake tube is through that tube. My reasoning is that if the PCV was shut, then pressure would escape though the driver side valve cover breather forcing oil with it. The driver side breather also had that yellowish foam in the tube with a little condensation too.

Any thoughts on this, the car did have a bad idle, but cleaning the oil out of the intake tube helped. I am more concerned with the foam on the oil cap though. The coolant level is fine and there isn't any white smoke from the exhaust (yet).

Thanks,
Brad

this is mostly from short drivinf when condensation builds up and mixes with the oil to creat a sludge.

nothing to worry about

I agree, its caused by short trips, and not running the engine at normal operating temps for very long. I would check the thermostat just to make sure its not cracked open, and a good road trip will do wonders, for you and the car- with an 89 with 245K and a 95 with 185K miles, I love my road trips:)

Check...

there is definately water getting into your oil which emulsified at the top. Possibl from condensation, but i would definately check to see if you're loosing any coolant, to eliminate HG! Is there any power loss??

Aaron

I just got the car 12/27. It has pretty good power, but I think there should be more. I am going to do a major tune-up. Some one has definitely been in the engine because the SC top bolts are stripped, so I am probably losing boost there and the passenger side valve cover is leaking pretty bad. I drove the car 450 miles to get home from the dealership. It takes a while for the car to heat up, 10 minutes or so, but then it stays in normal.

Thanks for the responses.

I have the same magnaflow too and love it, you can usually get a used one on ebay or cragislist. I wanted a valid warranty so I got it here. Magnaflow 15808. Also some of the forum sponsors usually have a sale going on. Either way its a great exhaust system, sounds great, and very easy to install.

pull cap off while cars running and give it gas...If you see steam comming out...Then you may have a gasket problem causing the sludge..Otherwise like others said...could be normal

And the oil....Pretty much normal

Last edited:
hahaha!..I just saw it at the top and responded. I bet someoen now is going.I wonder where that sludge was comming from!

I guess an update now is better than never!!!!!

The car is all good. I had just bought it back in January 2003 when I posted and it had 92K and an unknown service history. The head gaskets had been done, but I was concerned that they were shot any way. Turns out the foam was probably from the car sitting. It never ran right because the egr wasn't installed correctly and the car wouldn't idle, making it hard for the dealer to sell (major vaccum leak). I bought it off ebay for 3100. Remember this was over six years ago.

I just fixed that egr leak this July(it took me six years to find and two minutes to fix), converted the car to 5 speed and put 2k miles on it this summer. I even took it on a 600 mile round trip after only putting 150 miles on the 5 speed swap. I haven't put 600 miles on a t-bird in over 4 years! Car now has 95K, runs perfect, stops on a dime, handles even better, and I am a very satisfied SC owner. Years ago I also changed the pcv with a ford unit. No hints of the foam has returned.

So for any one with the same or similar problem, I would point to driving habit or lack of maintenance, or worse-blown HG. Thanks

I guess it is amazing that I still have this car seeing how this is the first summer I have actually been able to drive it! I have worked on this car for the past 7 years. For those that want to read about my pain:

2003 - tune up and engine sensors, interior passenger door handle, supercharger teflon reusable gaskets, car won't idle/car hits rev limiter when floored between gears
2004 - Paint - shaved door handles/trunk lock/2006 headlights/hood/Xenon front (this took almost a year to complete)
2005 - tranny valve body j mod/limited slip 3.27, Goodyear gator back belts
2006 - steering rack and tie rods/powersteering pump with stainless braided line/different auto tranny, markViii torque converter/B&M large cooler and stainless braided cooler lines, Dual Exhaust, BBK 255lph, new o2 sensors
2007 - Eibach Prokit/Tokico shocks/18 inch wheels and nitto 555 tires 245/45 275/40, Cobra brakes front and rear,stainless braided front lines - Powerstop gold cadium cross drilled rotors, ZEX 80hp dry kit, rear wheel bearings
2008 - Stayed in storage - might have drove the car 20 miles, tranny was pretty bad. Stupid one way clutch crap.
2009 - Fixed egr which fixed idle - 5 speed swap -(new clutch, PB, RB, slave, master, UJs custom audio system with sub in wheel well/new power antenna/engine mounts, tranny mount, rear main seal, pinion seal, RF abs sensor, rear coil isolators, H&R rear springs, cut V8 front coils, B&M short throw, Removed Zex kit, recharged A/C, IRS bushings, replaced some burnt out light bulbs in cluster. Now the A/C control only half lights up!

I have left a lot of little stuff out, but since you all own one of these you can guess.

btw, there is not a single spot of rust on or under this car. It is really solid and should stay that way for a very long time. I also have my 1995 Tbird that I have owned since 1997. The list on that car makes the SC look like a basic tune-up. Currently that one is getting a full make over and should be ready for the road in 2-3 years! ha. I love these cars and they will both be with me for a lifetime. The payoff drive I enjoyed this summer with the supercoupe was all I needed to continue my work on these cars. Really hard to describe that feeling. Thanks for reading.
Brad

I am also quite amazed that you still have the car, and in such great shape. Way to stick with it!

it's been a long time

LOL, I had totally forgotten about this until I got an email saying someone had replied to my post...6 years ago!!! I still have my '89. My 95 was sold 5 years ago.

Back