Radiator question

Guy Montaquila

Hi everyone,
I have a 90 SC and I want to have my radiator recored and I want to know how everyone approached this. Is there a particular shop that does it better than others? I live in Philly, so if someone knows someone specific, please let me know. I would really like to put in an aluminum raditator but they cost so much. I would like to hear your advice.
Guy

I think it's a common practice for a radiator shop. I got mine done locally, I think it was ~$60, but that was with a weld to replace a JB Weld repair job the previous owner had made on a small crack. Made a nice difference. However, look up a recent thread on an aftermarket radiator that someone got for aroud $130(?). That's not much more to be getting a new, worry free radiator. Search under Radiator here and in non-tech. Sounded like a good buy, I think I'd have gone that route if I'd known about it at the time.

Thanks JAFO. When you had yours recored, did you get 3 or 2 rows. I've read about some SC'ers getting a 3-core. I wonder how the price differs from a new one and which will cool better. Also how does a CSF brass copper rad weigh more than a stock rad? I hear it cools better but I don't really want to add extra weight. So far my radiator is fine, but I would love for it to be cooler.

The stock radiator on a 90 SC is all metal just like the CSF. It is a pretty easy job. If you can change the plugs on an SC you should be able to change the radiator. I did mine in about an hour last month. I put in a CSF that I purchased through Radiatorexpress.com for $189 including shipping.

It is a OEM quality radiator that cools equally or better than the stock unit. I have to add that radiator express was great to deal with and shipped the radiator quickly. For less than $200 I didn't think that it was worth having the old one repaired because my time is worth more than the savings than having the old one break down on me again.

Bob

Last edited:
Robert Kohlman said:
The stock radiator on a 90 SC is all metal just like the CSF. It is a pretty easy job. If you can change the plugs on an SC you should be able to change the radiator. I did mine in about an hour last month. I put in a CSF that I purchased through Radiatorexpress.com for $189 including shipping.

It is a OEM quality radiator that cools equally or better than the stock unit. I have to add that radiator express was great to deal with and shipped the radiator quickly. For less than $200 I didn't think that it was worth having the old one repaired because my time is worth more than the savings that having the old one break down on me again.

Bob

I totally agree with Bod. I did this same thing a week ago....Other than having to take the SC IC bracket off, it was a breeze. Probably took a complete hour from start to finish and was a one person job. Hats off to RadiatorExpress.com....Nice produce and is worth every dime not having to worry about a "fixed" stock radiator breaking.
Regards,
TBSCoupe

Back