Radio Memeory Wiring Problems

mn12sc35th

I'm having a little trouble and am not sure what's going on here. I hooked up a stereo in my 90SC and found that the memory fuse under the hood was blown. It's a 5 amp fuse. I decided to try a 10 but didn't have an so I stuck a 15 in. POP so I tried a 20, it didn't blow but the 15 amp fuse before the radio did. So I tried runnnig a whole new wire from the post on the solenoid that the battery cable runs to with a 15 amp fuse before the radio. Once I hooked it up, it blew the fuse. I tried to jump from the switched power (red) and it blew the fuse there too. The radio itslef wasn't even plugged in. I thought it was and looked down to see just the p[lug hanging. The only thing on these wire is a filter/fuse box as well as as extra set of fuse holders on the 2 powers before the filter. The filter has glass fuses so I put the two fuse holders in and bypassed the glass fuse. I'm to the point of cutting the filter out and trying it but any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

wiring

When you found the first fuse blown, you should have stopped there, and re checked every wire to see what you have connected to what. But under NO circumstance do you by-pass a fuse! EVER! The fuse is there for protestion of equipment, and prevention of fire.

If you have re-checked your wire connections and find no error, get someone else to check it, or leave it alone for a half hour and go back and check the connections again. If that doesn't locate the problem, take it to a shop. Pay the out ragis price and sleep well tonight without the fear of your car burning in place.

Yes, bypassing fuses is VERY bad. That's how I blew up a computer monitor. It kept blowing fuses so I jumped the connections (this was years ago) and it shot fire when turned on. Thankfully I didn't get hurt, but it could have been so much worse.

-Chris

re

yellow = constant 12v
red = switched
black = ground
orange= Don't use
blue = amp/antenna

make sure that everything is hooked up the way it should be and no loose connections.

If you want to run new power wires for your stereo than I suggest doing so from the ignition wires under the dash on the steering column (splice the coating off the wire and hook and loop a new wire on, solder and then tape)

both red and yellow wires should have fuses, the red (switched) wires fuse is located in the fuse box under the dash and the yellow(12V Constant) is under the hood.

DO NOT EVER PUT A FUSE IN WITH A BIGGER AMPERAGE THAN WHAT IS RECOMENDED!!!!!!!!! if it says 5A - don't even put a 10A in, primary wire has a tendancy to melt the coating right off the wire and leave it bear to ground out and cause fires!!!!

This is what I suggest trying, take your radio, do not hook up any speakers, hook up only: ground, constant, switched wires and it should turn on, if the fuse on the back of the deck pops, than the deck is pooched, if the fuse on one of the wires pops then chances are that it is grounding on the wonderful ford dash

Isn't the orange wire used for dimming? I hooked that wire in with the dimming wire on my Pioneer DEH-7300 since it was an option. It was nice to be able to have the display of the deck dim when the headlights were turned on. I'm not sure how many other decks are capable of using that wire, but I know mine was.

-Chris

If you had read my post completely, you would see that the only reason I bypassed that fuse was that I installed a fuse holder in both the constant and the swtched 12v+ before the original fuse box. I'm not stupid enough to simply jump the fuse without taking the necessary precautions. Secondly, there is only one thing on that circuit, the fuse box/filter that is on the harness for the stereo. It uses glass tube fuses. I have extras of every amperage for ATC fuses so I put a fuse holder that uses them in it. I'm to the point where the only other thing is to try cutting the noise filter/fusebox and just running the fuse holder I put in it. I can't see where anything else could conflict.

I ran the new wire so there is no way it's grounding out except in that box. The stereo dosen't have a fuse physically on it, just that box.

One last comment, when I jumped it over from the switched power, I did it from the back side (closest to the radio) of the fuse so that it would blow if something where to happen

Last edited:
radio memory

I wasn't trying to imply you are less than intelligent. But after what you have done so far, I would pull the radio out and do a bench test. Prove all wires and lable them with masking tape, then reinstall, if everything checks out on the bench.

And if all that fails, there is circuit city, and they can have the headache of installing a new radio/ CD Player/tapedeck/whatever. And then rock on. All it takes is money.

And if you are installing a non ford radio, you may need to call Scosche Inc. @1-800-621-3695, for the pigtail for you car/radio.

Hope it helps.

It turned out my problem was in the filter/fuseboxthat originally came with the stereo, I had to cut it out and run the 2 fuse holders instead, at least now it works. Thanks

Back