can someone give me a "how to" on installing a capacitor?

klsoneSC

I need to get a cap for my stereo system and was quoted fifty bucks to install it. Someone on the board told me I could PROBABLY install it myself. I am not too knowledgeable on electronics but I would like to save tha 50 bucks if I could. SO, could someone please give me an explanation on how (or if) I could install a cap myself. I also need a list of everything I would need to do it. Thanks in advance!!!

A capacitor is basically an inline battery for an underpowered (electrically) stereo setup. What it's meant to do is prevent major power fluxuations when the amp is working hard (but you probably already know this, which is why you're buying one!)

Anyway, installation is pretty simple. Basically you just need to install it inline with the power already going to your amp(s). In essence, you would need to have you positive power in the trunk go to the capacitor first, and then from the cap to the amp. Once it's connected that way, that's it. It's simple.

One of my friends actually used a 12v lawnmower battery for his system. It actually worked quite well, but he tossed the idea for fear of damaging his equipment.

Hope that helps you a bit.

-Chris

This may have been what Chris meant by"inline", but the cap should be installed on the positive power wire to the amp, so that the wire goes to the positive terminal on the cap, and then continues from there to the amp. The negative terminal on the cap should be grounded to the same place as the amp. The cap should be positioned as close to the amp as possible. Don't forget to disconnect the battery first, and pre-charge the cap if required.

And whatever you do, DON'T cross the capacitor terminals with a screwdriver or something else metal when it's charged...unless you want to see a flash burn in your eyes for a while :D

-Chris

Thanks alot guys!! So let me make sure I understand. I take the cap, which will have a pos and neg terminal on it like a regular battery, and disconnect the positive wire attached to the amp comming from my car battery and attach that to the positive terminal on the cap. Then do I take a section of wire and attach that from the positive post on the cap back to where the positive cable from my car battery was attached to the amp? I can't see exactly how the power from my battery enters and exits the cap and continues to my amp??? Where would you guess my amp is grounded (like I said before, I am not very electronically inclined) or how would I tell where it is grounded? Do I just ground the cap next to where my amp is grounded or do I actually attach it to the amp's ground point? What all will I need to complete this project myself (wires, fuses, connectors, etc)? I can't tell you how stupid I think all my questions must sound to someone with a fair knowledge of this subject, but hey, thats what this board is for right!!! Are there any articles or internet sites you know of that could help me get a better idea of how the cap works and how to install it? Anyway thanks for all your input and I hope I am able to understand this a bit better.

Hopefully this will clear things up.......
caphookup.jpg

Don't forget to charge it first. If not you will create a hella power surge that could cause damage to many things.

Back