What is this part? Look at this pic.

biffteed

I've noticed this part under the hood of my car and always wondered what it was.

I found this pic on ebay, and there it is. I'm stumped cause in my car its located in the top left corner of the engine compartment. (standing in front of car lookin under the hood) On my car its dangling on a thick wire at the base with a part that sticks out where you can plug in something. In the pic you can see a grey part plugged into it with a white wire.

What is this black part and what are the wires?
Where is this part supposed to be mounted?

Attachments

• superchargertop.jpg
    superchargertop.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 420
I dont think that part belongs in that area, on the bottom is hooked up by thick electrical wires and it cant reach to be placed in that area. underneath it has some clamps like it supposed to be put somewhere but can't find where to put it, so I just have it sitting in the corner out of the way.

That is a BAP (barometric absolute pressure) sensor. It normally is mounted on the underside of the passenger side cowl. It gives barometric pressure signals to the EEC. That grey piece is to prevent someone from attaching a vacuum line to the unit.

There is a similar device found on non supercharged cars that is called a MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor that senses manifold pressure (mostly vacuum!). That one requires a vacuum line be attached to the manifold.

You should be able to see the original location of the BAP just behind the hose connecting the intake tube to the throttle body in this pic:

swbengine3.jpg

So what yer sayin is that, I dont need to hook anything up to that part. It has a hole and looks like somethin can plug in. Should I just plug it up? Or leave it be?

The part needs the electrical connections for the EEC, but the grey tube must be left open to the atmosphere.

Damn that pic is beautiful, what year is your car and how long it take you to restore the engine so nicely?

My goal is to restore my car and right now I'm just learning. I still dont see the part. I'm blind or something.

George,
I noticed you don't have the stock overflow tank. So you must have an aftermarket one. Where did you get it from? I want to find a nice, reasonably priced one to replace that ugly factory one. Thanks

Brandon, you don't see a washer bottle in that pic either! I used a 93-up washer bottle that mounts in front of the rad support on the driver's side. I made a carboard template and had a similar aluminum tank made up for the passenger side for the overflow. I also had an aluminum neck machined to be welded in that would allow use of the stock cap. I then cut a hole in the top to allow use of the stock fluid level sender. You can see them both in this pic:

swbengine4.jpg

I just noticed the bumper on your car, you said you car was an 89?

How did you get that bumper to fit, I thought those only went on the later thunderbird models. Did you have to get a different hood or something?

I think someone posted earlier that all it takes is $$$ and anything can be done with your SC.

gldiii seems to have lots of patience, and just enough $$$ to get it done the way he wants to.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that. (Though I kinda liked his old front end... though I'm partial to the 89 look.)

Most info on hood/bumper swaps is going on in this current thread:

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15820

You can mix and match parts to get about any combo you want in the front end since all the 'Birds have just about the same fenders and hood mounting points.

My particular hood is a 89-93 Cervinis that has been custome fitted to the 96-97 lights and the 94-95 bumper. A 96-97 hood would work as well with that bumper/light combo. You just need the correct support structure behind the bumper cover and the correct plastic headlamp panel for the lights you are using.

I am pretty particular about my car and its parts. Nothing comes together overnight and a lot of thought goes into making the parts work together.

i know a lot of people have already pointed it out but. That is the nicest looking engine ive ever seen in any car. Really nice job

Back