Wanted an Optima, but settled for the Autozone gold.

tbirdboy

The Optima was a 1000CCA's and the Autozone gold was 750CCA's. That really shouldn't make that big a difference in my opinion but technically speaking should I have gotten the bigger battery?

I don't have modifications in the way of hi-power sound and basically roll with an all stock stereo system which by the way is starting to sound pretty crappy(speaker crackle) with no bass. But that is the least of my worries. No MSD or anything either. Thanks.

Autozone positive comment for once.

Crap alternators.. good batteries. I have a 5 year old Duralast Gold.. what can I say. Longest period of time that I've ever had a single battery.

My 92 SC has a Duralast Gold 34DT-DGN which is 1000 CA and 900 CCA. My 90 SC has a 65-DGN which is 1000CA and I think 875 CCA. No way your cold cranking amp rating is higher than your cranking amps. I believe the Optimas are only like 910 CA or something like that, the Duralast Gold 65-DGN is stronger but the Optima batteries are dry cells and thats new technology. I can't comment on how long they will last. I'm betting 7-8 years.

My Prostart lasted 3 before taking its steep dive. I also really need to replace the POS and NEG cables due to them being frayed and all. That I suspect was a major factor in my batteries' downfall.

Also is there a place that I could buy a rebuild kit for my ALT that will give some amps. I heard that the Arizona Highway Patrol used SC's on it's roads and those vehicles came with 130 amp ALT's. Would like to rebuild my spare to that level if possible.

Thanks

One other note.. heat is what does batteries in more than cold. If you're in Arizona, don't expect them to live as long as if you were in Michigan. Sort of makes it even more remarkable that mine has held up this long.. and with these bouts of draining and recharging its had to endure lately, I can say its undergone a lot of stress. I hope it survives :cool:

Believe it or not I still have the original/factory Motorcraft battery in my 94 SC. :D Almost nine years and counting but I know it can't last much longer.

If you're looking for an optima battery go to Costco warehouse stores. They have red tops and blue tops for $100 and $120.

Nothing wrong with the batteries Autozone sells. I've got a Duralast Gold in my SC that's been working fine for several years.

David

I can get optima batteries for about $80-85 dollars all day long, but you know how much of a bitch they are to ship...

The Duralast batteries sold at Autozone are made by Johnson Controls. JC use to make the old DieHards. They are extremely well built, probably the best buy for the money out there.

Back