How much would you pay for my Super Coupe?

Micahdogg

I've been wondering what I could realistically sell my Super Coupe for. So I'm looking to see if any of you could offer some input....either what you think it could sell for or what you would seriously offer for it. The car is not for sale, but it never hurts to know where you are at:

Here is are some pics:
DSC00108.JPG

mvc-074x.jpg

The car is a 1989 light titanium SC w/ 102K miles on the odometer, but mileage is closer to 99K because of driving with an inaccurate speedo for a couple years. It's a non loaded 5-speed too, so it has cloth, no moon roof, no keyless entry, etc...

Mods include:
7 inch Autophysics filter in foglight opening
C&L Vortech 73 mm MAF (36lb sampling tube)
ZR Motorsport 3 inch intake
BBK 70 mm throttle body
Ported and diffused s/c inlet
Ported 95 supercharger
¾ inch raised s/c top
Ported lower intake
Ported & polished heads
Crane Cam 208 cam
Comp Cam 7.2 inch pushrods
Crane Cam single type valve springs
March aluminum underdrive pulleys
5% SVO aluminum sc pulley
ESM 10% aluminum sc jackshaft pulley
Diablo Chip dyno tuned by Jerry W.
Walbro 255 liter/hour in-tank fuel pump
FMS 36lb fuel injectors
'95 gas tank upgrade
Kooks stainless steel mid-length headers
Catless 2.5 inch downtubes
Magnaflow dual 2.5 into single 3 inch resonator
Single 3 inch exit into 16 inch turbo muffler
B&M Ripper Shifter
Tri-ax aluminum shifter handle w/ aluminum knob
M5R2 rebuild with brass F150 blockers
McLeod 13.5 lb Lightened Steel flywheel
McLeod Dual Friction Kevlar clutch
Brute Force U joints
FSR Motorsport aluminum driveshaft
3.31:1 Final Drive Ratio
Tokico Adjustable Shocks and Struts
Suspension Techniques 1.5 inch lowering springs
Airlift Airbags in rear
Silver BBS RK 18 inch rims:
Rear = 18 X 10, +20mm offset with 6.28" backspace, Sumitomo 285 35's
Front = 18 X 8.5, +25mm offset with 5.73" backspace, Sumitomo 245 45's
Mustang Bolt pattern conversion with Cobra/SN95 hubs and redrilled stock rotors
NR white face gauges
Autometer A/F & fuel pressure gauges on A pillar
Custom aluminum pedals
Misc. polished aluminum accents
Cobra R Cowl hood
Black hood vinyl w/ carbon fiber/silver logos
Tinted windows
GTS blackouts
Four chrome Lightning Audio 10's (basket out) in trunk
Rockford Fosgate Punch amp
Lanzar DVD/CD/MP3 deck
Lanzar motorized 7 inch LCD screen in lower tray
Dreamcast Gaming Console

The car dynoed 270RWHP and 369RWT without the aluminum driveshaft or aluminum underdrives. You could probably estimate power with those items at 275/375. Also ran a best of 14.15 @ 99 in complete street trim. So it's good for 13's if you can get the traction.

As for quirks, the AC has been removed, wipers and motor have been removed, foglights are gone too. I have all the parts available to go with the car though. I've currently invested about $20,000 in the car without including the purchase price of $7500 back in '97.

Anyway, everything works fine except 3rd gear gives a grind when you speed or power shift. Not sure what that means though since I just rebuilt it myself a few months ago. I think it might just be a habit with the solid brass synchros as there is no way I've damaged the rings -THAT- bad in such short time. I'm assuming it will continue to work fine, but just grind for a long time to come.

I've got $10,000 in my mind, but just looking to see what others think.

Micah

Well, since you're asking...

High book...because you're a good guy.

Hey, the car is 14 years old now.

don't forget

You will have to throw in a case of Bud, and three pizza's from pizza hut. oh and don't forget at least five GOOD jokes for eatting the pizza's... Now for the grinding, that is a sign that the synro's have got on the last train out and it will only be time before it is a real bear to shift...Sorry to be the one to tell you but it is the way of the trans.... it might be the thrid gear itself that has the rounded teeth.... Now as for the car, it is only worth more if you can find someone who is ready to build a car and you can talk him into yours...All the time and money we all throw at these things is just for our own fun, most people won't give a darn what extra's you have, as long as the car looks and drives good.. Sorry about that,but that's the way it is... Good luck if you do sell it....Rich

can't

It really sucks because we all put so much money into our SC's but we will never be able to sell it for what it's worth to us. A beautiful, rare car with low miles and thousands invested in it sometimes only sell for a few thousand. I dont think it's ever worth it to sell the SC unless you have to. The sentimental value is almost always like a hundred times it's true value. nice looking SC also Micahdogg!
-Damon

No idea what it's worth. That's one good looking car though. Those rims look really good on there with that color car.

Unfortunately, our cars are just not worth what we think they are worth. You have obviously cared for that car a great deal, but the sad truth is that it is an '89 and it does have over 100k miles. Those two alone make the overall value of the car quite low, compared to the mods you have put into it. I'm guessing that you probably won't get more than $6K for it, unless you find that right person who will pay anything for it. I'm betting you won't find that person though. Just on a side note, last year one of the five SWB T-birds exchanged ownership for a price tag of about $9k. There are only 5 SWB T-birds and 1 Mark VIII, so you know that the value of those should be high. Our cars just aren't old enough yet. If I were you though, I'd still put a price tag of $10k and make it very known that you are negotiable. You'll have to be in order to sell it.

You should be able to get $10k from a specialty car enthusiast. Hell Mendola was asking $17k for his and Coy wants $20k for his car. My friend Mike paid $8500 for his 35th anniversary w/ 85k miles and some bolt ons (lentech vb, 3.73's, flowmaster exhaust, 10% pulley, raised top, 70mm tb, 190lph pump, etc..) My other buddy Derek paid $7900 for his 94 SC auto (stock, 85k miles.)

I paid $3500 for my 92 in the summer of '99 w/ 93k miles on it. And I gave up $3000 for my 90 in spring of '01 w/ 163k miles on it. Both cars I've put a lot of TLC into and they both look great. I still have stock wheels and suspension, and mild mods on both. So I'd be best off keeping them till they become collector cars. Unless I get them repainted, lowered, rims, etc.. Which I will eventually. I'd give up my Audi before I gave up my SC's!

thanks for the offers.....I'm pumped up now.

So yeah, I know cars aren't worth sheet, even modded. BUT a general rule of thumb I've used is ask half what you have in it.

The price in my mind was near 1/3 of the $27K I've thrown at this thing...so I think I'm being pretty reasonable. Also, that SWB car is not a good example because I think it had a pretty much stock motor. So it wasn't faster, just had the body/frame mods, wheels, suspension, and some interior stuff (backseat delete). I'm betting he' had less than $27K in that car.

On ebay, a car exactly like mine only BONE stock and 135K miles sold for $3200. If it had my mileage of 100K the it might have gone for $3800-$4000. So considering that, there is no way in hell my car would go for less than $8K.

Ahh who cares anyway.

Micah

Short Wheel Base Thunderbird (or now, a Lincoln Mark VIII as well) The original conception was to make a shorter version of the T-bird to use as a platform for the '94 Mustang (way back in '91) Ford decided that it was too expensive and too heavy for what they were looking for and the project was handed over to Doug Kielian at Autocraft in Lincoln, NE. He did the body work on the original T-bird. Since then, he has done 5 T-birds and 1 Mark VIII. The pricetag for the SWB is about $7500, but only if your car is going to be shortened and there is no rust. Any other mods will cost more and Doug really doesn't like rust.

Edit: Oh yeah, if interested here is the website .

Where have you been, Sam?

Sam,
Do you know George Davenport?
He added the SWB option to one of his Birds.

(I'll bet he wishes it was just $7500)

Phil,
Actually I do not know George personally, but have briefly emailed him about his SC. I actually live in Lincoln, where Autocraft is and have been by there many times. I'd really like to get mine done, but unfortunately, I have too much rust on my rockers with no one who is willing to help out as I have no body experience myself. And to date, I have not gone to any events as I just bought my first SC about 7 months ago. I previously owned a '92LX so I'm not new to the T-birds.
George ran much more than the 7500 mainly because of 2 things, rust and options. George did not just do the SWB. He had many extras that I can't begin to list. And then there was rust. Yeah, rust. Doug won't touch another one with rust. (If he does, it will cost more than George's did I think. I get the distinct impression that he won't touch it with rust.) I will have to get mine fixed long before he would even look at it, let alone actually do something with it. Or just get another one from the southwest...

That's what I thought, but I couldn't picture it, nor had I heard of it. Mainly for the cool factor, but I guess there's a good weight savings to it too? Pretty neat.

That's what I thought, but I couldn't picture it, nor had I heard of it. Mainly for the cool factor, but I guess there's a good weight savings to it too? Pretty neat!

Think I had an epiphany, stuck it in my signature.

Last edited:
No weight savings either. I would say the most dramatic change would be the handling. For the better or worse, I have no clue. But the reinforcement that goes back into the car negates most of the weight savings to be had.

George just wanted to be different and liked the looks.

Micah

Hey Micah, I'll trade you my beater....Nice rims, what happened to cobra r's? Anyways, here's a pic of the beater...:) (to the right)

Attachments

• stawin.jpg
    stawin.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 186
Back