What would you do? Paint original or paint it red?

biffteed

I've had my SC for 2 years now, its a white 1990 5-speed. I got the trany rebuilt, the engine still runs great. Right now it needs body work, it started to rust here and there. I had it put away for a year. This spring I'm planing on gettting all the body work done and repaint it nicely. I'm not sure if I should keep it original and repaint it white or If I should paint it red. I seen alot of nice red SC's.

What would you folks do? Any suggestions would be great.

Painting it white again would be much cheaper. Changing color would require under hood, truck, door jams, engine compartment. .. Lotz of work.

Although, if time and money aren't an issue, go with your hearts content~

Anthony

I think it'll be cheaper to buy a red car.
When I was looking for my car, and having trouble finding a good red one, I checked on the price of converting one to red. :eek: I was told about $5000 to do it right. Bought my car for less than that. Cheaper to sell what you have and find a low mileage red one in good shape. (I know it's not that easy to give up your car though)

Edit: That was a good shop for that quote, not an Earl Scheib type of place. One idea though, is to check around some community colleges or other shools with body shop classes. If you get with them, they will usually paint a car if you supply the paint. They may take on a job like this. The cars I've seen were well done, the teacher is right there. Takes a while to get it back, but it might be an option to explore.

Last edited:
everybody is right so far, changing color is pretty costly due to the labour of jamming everything. i would keep it white, but if your looking for something different, you can add pearl or metalics to the white paint and make it a bit more unique. or add some ghost flames or stripes. something subtle enough to make it unique but not grab a ton of unwanted attention.

I agree. Either sell it and get the color that you want or keep it white. You could very easily add a pearlized white to give it a unique look that would be so subtle that you wouldn't have to kill yourself with the details of a total color change.

Just my .02 Bob

upgrade the door trim to late model trim and paint the bumper trim to match. I'd make it like a Pearl white, like the new Caddy's or the maybe the 95 Ford Pearl white color.

My suggestion

Well I am having this debate with myself also I wanted to do a good ford blue or viper blue with some pearl but I think I am gonna stay with white and add some pearl to it I took off all the black moldings and I'll probably paint most of the car white except for the weatherstriping my blue job would have cost me 4200 dollars but I don't have that kind of money Im only 20!

It's gotta be black!!! :D
No alternatives....
(just kidding, red is nice but black is better)

:D

Back