How do I center up the steering wheel?

JAFO

Had a 4 wheel alignment done recently, and my steering wheel was already pointed a bit to the left, came back worse. Had to get it redone somewhere else (long story) and asked them to true it up, and it came back over adjusted way to the right (like at 1:00). Tired of taking it to people that don't pay attention to what they've done.Is it a PITA to adjust? How do you do this? Is it done at the tie rods or where? Really aggravating, but at least my alignments back right.

Get a grease pencil and mark tie rod position to the joint on both sides, then start off turning both tie rods in the same direction 1/2 turn, retighten, go out and drive it. Your good if its on, if not but closer to being right, repeat what you did, if not, go the other direction. You won't hurt anything, its pretty easy, JUST MAKE SURE YOU TURN BOTH TIE RODS EITHER TOWARDS THE FRONT, OR TOWARDS THE BACK!.
Dave
MM3-N USN

I thought it was something like that. Wouldn't have known about turning the same direction (opposite turns). Makes sense though, to move it over.

Thanks!

i work in a tire shop part time and the competent alignment techs make sure the steering wheel is straight before they do the alignment.. assuming they did this, i would check for tire pull next. are the tires new? to verify the pull, swap the front tires to see if the pull changes direction.

wayne...

I think they just over adjusted and didn't drive it. There are 2 shops involved here. The first was when I was out of town over Christmas. Thought I'd go in before leaving town and get a 4 wheel alignment & rotation that I'd been putting off. Did that, and it just wasn't right on the way home. Couldn't stick around another day to go back, so I figured it was just a loss. Finally got a chance to get it checked out locally. The first shop did the front alignment, but not the rear, as it turns out. I'm kicking myself for not requiring a printout. The wheel was to the left before and after the first alignment/rotation. After the 2nd alignment (done correctly), it came back to the right. Tire inflation is all equal. I don't think they drove it to test. I could go back and get it done right, but I'm sick of the whole thing now. A friggin' alignment shouldn't require all of this.

I hear ya, but go back and tell them to redo it and don't call you until the wheel is straight while driving. A road test is mandatory if the mechanic is worth a chit.

take it back to shop

first it needs to be centered they should have done it right our cars have to be right on or we apply hydro press when its not needed the steering bypasses fluid when centered, its being off center is bad for your power steering, heat buildup . + variable steering is thrown off.

Back