Noise and Idle Probs

Billabong089

Well my first question is about my idle, I sorta asked about this in my previous posts but I figure I'll make a topic so it can be directed toward just this.

Ok once and a while my Idle, when I start the car it would go to like 1500 and then drop down to 500 jump to 700 back down to 500, it actually sounds cool, no vibrations , nothing bad except that, and it goes away either on its own, putting it in gear or just reving it up once or twice. It does this once and a while, any suggestions?

And the second thing, I hear a little sqeak coming from the car, nothing loud, and it seems to come from under the car, I know all cars make a little sqeak now and then, is it normal? It is cold down in NJ and usually cold temps make everything sqeak lol.

Well I just thought of something else, when I turn my car off, it sounds like it depressurizes, like a pffffffffffffffffffffff, is that normal? It runs perfect at high boost, low boost, normal driving all that.

Thanks for the help ;)
- I gotta stop worryin about everything -

That sound you hear when you turn the car off happens on both of mine also, as far as I know it is normal.

Check for a vacuum leak. That can cause your idle to vary and the sound when you turn your car off. I'd guess that you have a vacuum tube disconnected, probably from your inlet plenum. The noises you hear, do they usually make sound as you are going over bumps in the road? If so, it is your springs. I'm sure that we have spring isolators on these cars. Those are rubber fittings that are between the springs and subframe. Being rubber, they are stiffer in the cold and can make noise. Mine make a lot of noise right now too.

Also, your varying idle can be the result of bad O2 sensors as well. If you don't have a vacuum leak, I'd check the codes (an O2 code will not always cause the CE light to come on) and see. IAC will cause your idle to go erradic as well, but it usually increases the idle RPMs when it goes bad.

Just some food for thought!

the sqeak is just standing still on idle, i think its just the typical sqeak, but I dont know maybe something needs WD-40 :)

I figured the pffff sound when you turned your car off was normal, and I dont get it because why would the idle just do it like sometimes, and then corrects itself. The mods on my car are listed on my sig FYI.

Iresealed the upper 1/2 of my engine this last summer and didn't get one of the vacuum tubes hooked up. The car ran great, but there was a very pronounced pfff--almost a hsss--when I'd turn off my car. That is just why I say that. There is a slight pfff normal I believe as the supercharger stops spinning, but my stereo is usually on at that point so I don't hear it. I'd guess though that you probably have a bad O2 sensor. My car began that way when my O2 sensor just started going. Now it's gone and I have to keep my foot on the gas about all the time at idle to keep it running. Mine was the drivers side O2. Pass is still good, so I get the flux in idle speeds too. Goes from 700 to 450-500 and pulses back and forth. That is until it really gets in trouble and wants to die. I think mine is mount related as well though. The rough idle from the O2s causes my engine to move. Bad mounts allow it to hit the frame and trigger the knock sensor. That is usually when my car dies...

Alrighty, so you dont think it could be the IAC?

I kinda like the sound it makes, sounds so good with the exhaust, it just bothers me because its not suppose to do that! lol and it never does it when I start it up for the first time ( cold) does it more when warm.

And about the sqeak?.. just normal sounds that old things make or something I should check? I mean I hear a lot of cars make sqeaks and crap, I just sorta noticed it when I was trying to see what was up with the idle.

Get your codes pulled. You may have an O2 code that will not cause the CE light to come on. The IAC generally causes a higher idle (1200+) not a falling idle. It could though, I just haven't heard much about it. Either way, the codes should tell you, if there is a code. That is where I'd start though.

maybe it is the o2 sensor that could explain my crappy gas mileage, approx 230miles per tank but that could also be my driving, i've been having a lot of fun with my new car ;)

Do you think some place would read my codes for free?

Ask around, I found a person who would. The other option is to get a code reader and use that. I for one haven't as they are somewhat primitive compared to the one I can get access to. I think that they are for about $30 or so at Autozone or O'Reilly's, or somewhere like that.

And yeah, the O2 sensors will greatly affect your fuel economy. They tell your EEC what the fuel mixture is and if they are not right...neither is your new AF ratio when the EEC tries to fix it!

Just thought of something as I was driving home. The squeaking could be your idler pullies going. I've heard that they have the ability to sieze and thus leave you stranded. I'd check those.

Back