What should a brand new clutch feel like?

Broham

I just got my clutch done and i was wondering what it should feel like. When i got it back i didn't like how it felt at all. DIdn't grab untill the pettal was almost completely released. Before it would grab 3-4 inches off the floor... The guy told me that this was just how they came, but i think he's full of *****!

Also i paid $960 for my clutch. Good/bad? I think i got hosed....
-broham

did you go with the cf df? because at first, mine felt like that. almost like there is no clutch action at all except at the very top. after i drove mine for a while it felt better(either that or i just got use to it). i dont think you can adjust our clutches so i dont think the guy telling you its suppose to be like that is full of ****, but i think 9 bills is a bit steep.

clutch

My guess as to why your clutch feels like that is that perhaps your slave cylinder is going bad, and or they did not fully bleed the line. I would bleed it if i were you to see if it helps. WHat you do is: Put the front of the car on jack stands, then take off that little rubber insert in the bell hhousing area of the tranny, then look for the little bleed nut on the slave cylinder (much like on a brake line, just larger) then put a 3/8 hose (i think, may be smaller) on the end of the nut, and loosen the nut on the bleeder while someone pushes down on the clutch, do that until all the air is out. Use standard DOT3 brake fluid to refill the clutch reservoir. This may help your problem, and its a good cheap way to make sure you have the right amount or "airless" fluid in you line. Fill the reservoir untill the bottom of the little black rubber thing is touching the fluid. Hope this helps...but it couldnt hurt!

Aaron

960 was in my opinion was a rip. Unless you are getting a performance build up with top dollar parts and a bunch of extra's(lightened flywheel, racing clutch, etc) then maybe that would justify the cost. But on a basic R&R, $500 would be the max I would pay.

Just did my own after Thanksgiving and after I bled that sucker for about 30 min(dirty fluid-nasty stuff) the pedal didn't allow me to engage gears for a couple of minutes til I pumped the pedal for about a minute.

Back