knock sensor part number

tbirdcrazy

my knock sensor has recently gone bad, i've checked at all the parts stores for a new one and they were all the wrong one. i put in a new block that came from the factory, i didn't know if that would change a thing but i need to know the right part number before i start ordering things.

This is a problem part. The early style had different threads and had a block adapter that the later models do not have. It may be obsolete from Ford. Here are all the numbers I have gathered for knock sensors:

Knock sensor 89-93 Auto Zone SU249 Old Ford E9SZ-12A699-B
Knock sensor 94-95 Ford F3LY-12A699-A Old Ford F3LF-12A699-AA
Knock sensor 94-95 NAPA DKS304

Maybe Fast Ed our resident parts guy can give us a hand. I know when I tried to get the early style sensor at Ford a few years ago for my 89 the part number automatically upgraded to the new part number which does not fit. The two sensors may not even be compatible even with a bushing adapter since they might sense different knock frequencies. The DIS did change in 94!

Early style is pictured below:

knocksen.jpg

Guys, we ran into this with Bill McNeil's 93 ...

The F3LY 12A699 A is a 1993 part number, but actually for a Mark 8 application. The Ford catalogue shows that as the correct part number for a 93 - 95 SC ... I know it doesn't fit 93 for sure, it may fit 94 - 95, haven't confirmed that. The system shows the F3LY 12A699 A replacing the older E9SZ 12A699 B, but that's not correct. Your dealer should still be able to order it under the E9SZ 12A699 B number, that is the correct thread size. Ford of Canada order system shows that there should still be stock in the U.S. depots on E9SZ 12A699 B, that's what you need.

The other possible route I haven't confirmed is that there is a new part number showing for that screw-in block adapter ... F4SZ 12B517 A ... the way it describes this piece in the catalogue, it would allow you to use the newer style F3LY knock sensor. I'm gong to order one in to have a look at it, will post again tomorrow when I have it here to look at.

Hope this helps ...

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

Last edited:
autozone

Last January I ran into the same thing. At that time the parts houses kept coming up with the wrong part, including NAPA. The Ford dealer parts guy spent a bunch of time trying to get the depots to find the early part and failed. I finanlly tried the last option, Autozone, and ordered SU249. (ref gldiii) It showed up and it was the Ford part! (Ford part number and all) the same part the Ford dealer could not get ...and it was only $21.99. ...but that was last January. Good Luck.

OK guys ... I have both of the knock sensors, and the adapter I was talking about in front of me. The connectors on both sensors are the same. The F3LY (newer style) sensor will screw into this block adapter, F4SZ 12B517 A. It's only about $12 retail in Canada, so maybe $8 to $10 in the U.S. ?? George and I are just trying to determine if the two sensors read the same range of frequency or not, since the 89 - 93 vs. the 94 - 95 EEC systems are a bit different. If they read the same, then that adaptor could be ordered from your Ford dealer if the E9SZ style sensor cannot be located.

cheers
Ed N.

I have a 94sc and napa gave me a carquest# KS19 knock sensor and the original part # was F3LF-12A699-AA . Just wondering if this is correct?

wow, thanks for all the information you guys, i'll try to get the right part i need this time, i'll let you know how it turns out.

Back