AOD into a '94 ? - *pic

tbird88

The local carlot that I got my '94 5spd from also has a '94 auto. They have it noted out but are fixin' to get it back because of tranny problems. It's been in & out of a trans shop 3 times and is givin' the current buyer nuthin' but grief who in turn is givin' the lot owner grief. It was sold as-is of course but the dealer is a good dude & wants the customer happy so he'll likely take the car back & put the buyer in another car.

Any tricks/pitfalls of swappin' in an every-day AOD in place of the 4R70W? Has it GOT to be an SC version?

'bird

Attachments

• 94wht4746.jpg
    94wht4746.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 477
I can't imagine that the computer is happy about having the AOD in place of the AODE (4R70W). Since one is electronically controlled and the other is not. Also, I'm not sure which other cars came with the 4R70W besides the SC. A lot of Fords do have the similar AODE, but it does not have the wide ratio gearset and I believe the tailshaft portion of the tranny is stronger in the 4R70W. There are other differences as well.

It still has the 4R70W in it right now but I just thought I'd throw the question out there. Seems the dealer has spent close to a grand tryin' to get the trans right, he's gonna send it back to the tranny shop that did the work because it's still under warranty.

thanks,

'bird

here's the one I bought...

Attachments

• 94blk4786.jpg
    94blk4786.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 435
scbird1

The 5spd car seems very tight but has it's problems. The clearcoat went south a long time ago and somebody replaced the hood to cure that but it looks like they used 36-grit on the roof & trunk. Hope to paint it this summer. It's optioned pretty good, has the 10-CD unit in the trunk and everything works best I can tell. The roof trim is missin' but I've got that on the parts cars out back. It has Flowmasters on it, didn't like 'em at all when I first heard the tone but I'm startin' to get used to it. Tranny was difficult to shift at first but fresh Mercon V seemed to help a bunch, still gotta put the friction modifier in though.

'bird

Originally posted by Kevin Varnes
How much for that Cutlass next to it in the picture?
I think that was one of their 995 deals, needed a windshield and a tuneup, maybe some tires. I don't think it stayed on the lot for very long, lot of construction workers in the area just lookin' for "transportation" that they can drop 500 on and have wheels.

'bird

Originally posted by b_burns30
how many miles are on your new bird, tbird88?
Has 128,000 on it, interior is immaculate and was the main selling point for me. Missing the console lid (black) but that didn't hold me back. :)

'bird

Can be done, why not??

Get a chip to turnoff the Automatic tranny featues in the EEC.. and bolt in the AOD with the correct flywheel, ect.. :)

Also the 4R70W is in the 5.0L Explorer (and N/A 3.8L (94+)MN12s) also in the MArk 8 and 4.6L Mn12s

The 4R70W transmission was also put into the 96 and up Mustangs, Crown Vic/Grand Marquis, Lincoln Town Cars, and F series pick-up trucks.

anyone who replaces a 4R70W with an AOD is just plain crazy, the 4R70W is a superior transmission.

What is the problem with it, could you describe it? Those transmissions are really, really easy to rebuild. If the repair shop can't figure it out, the dealer should have someone more qualified look at it.

Brian

93 Mark VIII

Originally posted by 93 Mark VIII
anyone who replaces a 4R70W with an AOD is just plain crazy, the 4R70W is a superior transmission.

What is the problem with it, could you describe it? Those transmissions are really, really easy to rebuild. If the repair shop can't figure it out, the dealer should have someone more qualified look at it.

Brian
I'd like to get some more details but the story so far is that he's had to take it back to the shop several times. I find out more, or get to test drive it :), I'll post about it.

'bird

Back