new SC and a shifting problem

bbird94

I have just starting to get in to suping up my car and making it look nice. I have a black '94 5 - speed that was kept in wonderful condition before me. I have a few guys that live near me and are very helpful with telling me about my car and helping me make it look nice and turn some great times at the track.

One question I have not really asked them and it really does not bother me to much. But when i shift into 2nd gear it gets stuck sometimes before getting into that gear. You have to find the sweet spot and then it will shift into that gear. Any one got any suggestions and it would much appreciated.

Thanks,
Brandon

Brandon, unfortunately that is a common problem with the 5-speed tranny in the SC. Try doing a fluid change, using some good quality fluid, maybe synthetic if you're so inclined. Then also add about 1/2 a bottle of the Ford friction modifier that is normally used in rear axles, C8AZ 19B546 A.

BTW, congratulations on your purchase ... in case you haven't checked out the FAQs, your 94 5-speed is one of 722 produced. :)

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

I have a '95 5-speed, one of 574 produced. I had a very similar problem when i got my SC about 2 1/2 years ago, it shifted funny into 2nd gear. All my friends were telling me its probably just a mustang shifter and its like that, but eventually it got harder to get into the gear and finally i couldnt even put it into 2nd gear without grinding the gear no matter what i did. A friend of mine was a ford mechanic and when he was working on it he gave me a call and told me my shifter was broken, so i ordered a B&M ripper shifter (much shorter distance between gears). I found out that the broken shifter caused the transmission not to be able to go all the way into 2nd gear so it would put a lot of wear on the synchro every time i shifted it into 2nd until the synchro was so worn that it would just grind the gear.
Please take a look at your shifter, i dont think its too difficult to get to although ive never taken apart the center console to get to it and have a look. Your shifter should NOT look like this...
http://members.aol.com/ilusnforc/images/broken shifter 01.jpg
http://members.aol.com/ilusnforc/images/broken shifter 02.jpg

Last edited:
Guys,

Thanks alot for the info. It sounds a little more severe than what I thought it was. Hey ilusnforc, how much was the B & M shifter that you bought. It sounds like it will not be that hard to check it out and work on it. Thanks for the info again.

Thanks,
Brandon

Back