Cross referencing VIN number to number on block?

91BLOWNSC

Is there anyway to do this and determine if the block that is in my car is original? I have reason to beleive after pulling it that it is NOT the original engine and would like to find out for sure. Can someone help me out with this? Thanks.

DUH! Now I''m the stupid one. It never occurred to me to think about that. When I was dealing with the Boss 302's, that was a very important aspect of the originality of the cars. I'll check into this. In the mean time, George, Bill, anyone know what the scoop is on the engine block numbers?

Have a great weekend all.

Only thing I have ever seen is a white paper tag on I believe the passenger side valve cover that has part of the VIN printed on it. I had posted a picture a while back. I'll see if I can find that pic and repost.

When theres only a few hundred SCs left in existance, a matching number engine car may worth more. (if there are numbers) So if you have a nice car and considering replacing engine or rebuilding, you might want to rebuild. Thats if you car has a decent chance of surviving this age of low market value and parting out for any reason mentality. These economics will change.

hmmm

Well i know what George is talking about (the number on the valve cover), But I also beleive there is a number on the part of the block closest to the driver. Its written vertically and in capital letters. I am almost sure of this but it was al dirty and stuff so didn't get that close of look. I will be sure to do that today.

Back