motor/trans mount question and a thank you

hockeydad2

first, thanks to everyone the replied to my 1/3/03 post about a starting problem with my 90 sc with 224,000 miles. thirdscfan tx. and don (lube70 n.j.) you two were right on. i replaced the cam sensor and it's running great and easily past california smog test.
now on to the next repair, what are the "recommended" engine and transmission mounts? i've heard about the solid ones and when i asked the local ford dealer, he told me i was better off with the dampening ones (ford). he wouldn't recommend the solid ones. i know ford doesn't have the solids ones, but which one do most of you guys run?
thanks, bob

Most people like to replace the "liquid filled" mounts with solid rubber mounts when they fail. That's because most people end up modding their engine to increase hp, which in turn puts more stress on the engine mounts. The liquid mounts will fail sooner. However, they do dampen engine vibration better than the solid rubber. I think most people would rather have a heavier duty solid mount with slightly more engine vibration (which in most cases probably won't even be noticed) then to have to replace the liquid ones more often! Not a cheap or easy repair... For normal driving on a stock motor, the liquid mounts would probably not fail as quickly, though.

One source of quality solid rubber mounts is http://www.mn12performance.com/

Use the solid rubber type

I just finished this repair on my SC about 2-weeks ago. This is the third set of mounts including the originals (the first two sets were OEM Ford hydraulic mounts) . I never want to replace them again if I can help it, and if you do this job yourself, you'll know why.
I have not experienced any increase in vibration from the solid mounts. In fact, they seem to help the car idle more smoothly. With any luck, these mounts will last a lifetime (either mine or the car's).
Just make sure you are really getting the solid rubber mounts.

I haven't noticed increased vibration with the solid rubber mounts either. I bought mine from super coupe performance.

Back