Harmonic Balancer Replacement

93SC

So I was looking at the BJH balancers that you can buy from SCP and I have some questions.

It says, “These balancers are zero balanced from BHJ. This means that they will bolt to a fully balanced reciprocating assembly with no modifications.”

If I am thinking this through correctly the reason the balancer was on there in the first place was to balance the crank when it’s spinning. So if my old one is gone, do I have to do something different with my crank now? The way I am figuring it, if I just bolt this sucker on then things will still be out of balance causing bad problems. Please feel free to correct me here, I just want this car running again.

Thanks

No they are referring to the difference between internally and externally balanced engines. Some engines (the Chevy 400 comes to mind) do not have enough room/material on the crank to sufficiently balance the engine using crank counterweights alone so they instead put weights on the crank dampener and flywheel. I cannot recall if our engines are internally balanced off the top of my head or not. Don't worry, the BHJ balancer is a very nice piece and will work well on your car. Well worth the money in my opinion.

Our cars run a neutrally balanced balancer anyway. A better name for the piece would be harmonic damper. Many people here run the superior (to stock) BHJ damper with no problems. Be sure and use a new crank bolt when you replace your damper. Of course the SC bolts are no longer available so you'll need the Mustang part.

Last great BHJ damper thread:

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14051

Cool. In that case, anybody know where I can buy a stock crankshaft and water pump pulleys? I don't know that I want to go with underdrives yet.

you can check with several places. First of all....good luck trying a local junk yard. I would try SCP, Bill always has extra parts floating around. Next try Morana V6 Racing, or Coy Miller. Any of the links that are on this site that deal with our engines may have some spares floating around.

Good Luck

Back