broke a piece off the brake resevoir

gmp30

I just finished doing my head gaskets and when I started my vehicle I noticed that the antilock light was on so I looked around and I found that during my repair process of the engine I damaged something under the plastic tank that you add brake fluid into. This is on the bottom left of the plastic brake resevoir unit it has a large plug that plugs into it, I guess you'd have to look at it to understand what it looks like, anyways this piece broke off and it has four wires in it and at the top it apears to maybe be a sensor of some sort. Does anyone think that maybe this can be glued back or repaired or will I have to replace the entire unit.

Thanks for any responses

1990 XR-7
73000 miles

It's the brake level warning sensor, I doubt that you will be able to glue it back together. You are going to have to buy a resivor. You might check sometimes the sensor comes off of the resivoir, if this is the case, it can be ordered, if not you'll have to buy the resivor from FORD. Or check around someone might have a spare laying around. Also you might want to post a want ad.

Good Luck
Tim Atkinson

will my vehicle operate fine without this being repaired, my main concern was that I did not want to drive the vehicle because I thought that the brakes would not function correctly.

1990 XR-7
73000 miles

If the ABS light is on, your brakes may function fine, but you will get no ABS activity. The computer that controls it will not try to use it as it assumes incorrect data is coming from it's sensors.

Here is a picture, maybe you can pinpoint the component better:
absactuator.jpg

That is a great picture, but the piece that broke off mine is located on the left side of the fluid resevoir which cannot be seen in this photo. I believe that it is refered to as the fluid resevoir indicator on this picture. Do you maybe have a picture of the fluid resevoir on the left side. I also drove my vehicle today it goes okay but it feels as though maybe the pedal feels a little harder because of this light. Do you think that this would affect my brake pedal feel.Well anyways I just removed the piece that broke off and unplugged it. Any more information would greatly be appreciated as to what I should maybe do.

1990 XR-7
73000 miles

The abs module uses the fluid indicator to decide if it can do it's jod. It sees the low level (from the broken sender) and says that it is not going to work. The abs pump is what preasurizes the accumulator which is what helps us stop or better know as POWER BRAKES. Again the abs module sees the low fluid level and decides that it is not going to function because there may be a leak or other fualt in the system. The red brake warning lamp is on in the car because the system wants to warn the driver of the low brake fluid condition that is indicated from the broken swith. The amber abs light is turned on because the abs module see the same low fuild light too and ford does not want the ABS to function with low levels of fluid.

Hope this helps.
Tim

do you think that this piece can be glued back or will I have to replace the entire unit

1990 XR-7
73000 miles

Anyone with the wiring diagrams for this section of the car? It's a basic sensor that is likely a simple switch. If so, if we could figure out how it is setup, he may be able to just jumper a couple of the wires together to make it think the switch is closed.

I don't think I would want to just start putting 12v down wires until it worked. But if it has more than just a couple wires, it probably is just driving more than one signal. One or two grounds plus leads the ECM and the ABS computer most likely.

You'd loose low fluid level sensing which could cause ABS pump failure if run with low fluid for extended periods, but if you just keep your eye on it when you check the oil it shouldn't be a problem.

If possible that it can be fixed with a little rewiring I'd rather do that than have to replace the whole thing

1990 XR-7
73000 miles

so does anyone maybe have any ideas as to go about maybe fixing this problem with a little quick fix and not replacing the whole unit. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

1990 XR-7
73000 miles

Oh.. sorry for snoozing. I have the ABS wiring diagram at home. I'll check it later if that will help. But when I last checked, the fluid level sensor also fed into the ABS computer, not just the dash light. Also, it has 4 wires (2 separate circuits) running to it. From the problem description so far, it sounds like its disconnected. But, if you have a good pedal and the pump runs like its supposed to, and you can tell that you have fluid, then its OK to drive.
:)

Thanks for all your input guys, I passed on the information That you guys gave me and I showed this sensor to my friend at the dealer who helps me with my vehicle and he ended up fixing the problem. this is what he did, we pulled out the sensor unit which had four wires conected at the terminal we then saudered the two right connectors and that was it, totaly fixed the problem by bypassing the sensor. It was an easy fix that cost nothing. So keep this inmind incase any of you guys bump into your sensor while you are maybe working on your vehicle.

Thank you all for your input

1990 XR-7
74000 miles

Back