Overfill Tank

Billabong089

Well, my overfill tank is just dirty ( like inside wise and probably outside), I can't see where the fluid is at and that realllllly bothers me, If that stupid sensor doesn't report low coolant than that could cause problems. Right now its winter time, so should I just add some coolant in there or just water? I Dont know what level its at, any ideas how to check?

Could I take the overfill tank off and clean it and all that? Or would I have to flush the coolant to do that? I dont have the time or knowledge to do that and I'm feeling a little nervous touching anything on my car after the oil incident and considering the VMM didn't report low oil, it wouldn't surprise to not report Low Coolant...

Heres a Pic.. just found it...

dirtyoverfill.jpg

It appears to have some coolant in it. You can 1, just add some coolant to it, bring the antifreeze about 1/2 way up. Or 2, (which I would probably do) remove the bottle, drain it completly, used some simple green and water and wash the inside of it out, sometimes they can get nasty. Pay special attention to the low coolant sensor, it may be a good Idea to replace it, My Taurus sho sensor went bad and blew the ignition fuse, killed the car along the road, but I figured it out. If not just clean the spade terminals up a bit on the bottom of the sensor.

Good luck
Tim

nah you can't tell in that picture it has coolant, I can open the cap and see nothing, I'm sure the sensor works, but I like to see things with my own eye, now to remove the overfill tank? Do I have to flush all the coolant out ( radiator and all that) ? and how do I go about taking it off?

Last edited:
Alright it looked like it had coolant in it. I don't blame you about not trusting the VMM, after the oil thing. you don't have to drain the entire cooling system, just what's in the tank, which you said is nothing so your ok.
I'll look tomorrow and try to give you some insight on how to remove the tank, my car is in the shop, so I will look tomorrow for you.

good luck
Tim

Well I hope it has coolant, it doesnt overheat, the radiator is full ;)

Anyway I apprecaite your help and look forward to your reply later. thanks.

Billabong089 said:
Well, my overfill tank is just dirty ( like inside wise and probably outside), I can't see where the fluid is at and that realllllly bothers me, If that stupid sensor doesn't report low coolant than that could cause anything on my car after the oil incident and considering the VMM didn't report low oil, it wouldn't surprise to not report Low Coolant...

Mr.Bong remember our conversation about engine on fire and "no light";) Your tank looks cleaner than mine...The only way i can tell where the level is ,is to grab the front end of the car and shake it side to side...make it easy on yourself and get the pre-mixed ethylene glycol at the parts store and add it till you can see something,just don't fill it all the way,or fill it all the way and waste a turkey baster and suck the excess out and back into the jug..just gotta leave room in the tank in case your rad decides to throw some back at the tank!
Hang in there
Jeff

lol yea that was funny JSC, I no longer trust the computer on the car, its already screwed me :-D

Im gonna try the shake thing, maybe when I get the coolant flushed , I'll tell the place to clean my tank lol.

I'm going to sleep now, thanks for the help.

You can clean the VMM sensor for fluid level by taking it out of the overflow tank,and using an old toothbrush to clean the gunk off the terminals. I'm sure Ford still has these new. You can always wash yours out with some kerosene or simple green.

Back