1990 aod

ibew112

O.K. please help............
doing 85mph in OD she is just about to shift from 4th back into OD and I hear a loud bang and no power, immediately i look at the rear view to see if pieces and parts are flying down the road, take my foot out of it and shift to neutral, after I slow down I shift to drive and it runs great up to 45 or 50 mph then no 4th gear I nurse it home in 3rd trying to go back into OD or get it to shift to 4th and nothing !!!! it this a synchro problem or do I need a complete rebuild ? thank you all who can reply

what are you talking about???

are you sure you have an AOD, because you keep talking about the trans like a manual (5 spd)

but anyway, sounds like you toasted OD. check the tv cable, next to throttle body, make sure everything is still connected properly, then "limp" it some place and have some one check it out for you.

jim

Let me see if I get this correct.. You heard a loud bang and saw pieces flying and you're asking if you need a rebuild??:confused:

No pieces

No............. a loud bang, no pieces came flying out and I drove 45 more miles home and it wouldnt shift out of third up. but 1st, 2nd, 3rd shift fine the TV cable is there no fluid loss just 4th and OD are gone .............................. does anyone know SC transmissions I know some of you do because you post about the steel synchcros not being as good as the brass and changing them. Please I dont want to spend $1200 on a rebuild when all I lost was a synchro...................... we all know they wont tell you the truth. your just another guy with an R rated Car $$$$$$$$

please anyone who knows these trannies

well the white one is automatic the red one has a stick the white one has lost 4th and overdrive gears the red one runs great. I dont know transmissions as well as I know the ABS brake system that is why im asking you guys thank you for your posts and your fast responses

The wonderfull OD is on it way out. There is not much that you can do for it, just let it go peacefully. The band is junk. That is what you are referring to. There is a better band out there that I have heard other guy talk about (haven't rebuilt mine yet) so I can't be much help on the specifics.

Your tranny is a 4 speed, 1 (low) 2, 3, 4 (OD). You are going to have to have that thing rebuilt by somebody. If you feel comfortable with removing the transmission from the car - they may give you a cut rate on the repair, Also you could look at the parts store for a reman transmission for your car also. Remember to make SURE that however does the repair FLUSHES THE TRANNY LINES before the new tranny is installed.

Good luck
Tim

shoulds like you need a rebuild!

i just went with a new rebuild aod tranny with fords wide ratio kit

Jerry

Ps B&M is junk for our trannys trust me!

Back