waterpump install

U

underpsi

Well just noticed a little drip so i guess it is time . My question is what has to be romoved and how much time will this take so i can prepare? I see the bracket to the power steering pump connects to it does this have to come off or can you work around it? thanks for the help :confused:underpsi

Yes that bracket will have to come off (or just loose you can let it hang there). I'm thinking there was something else on the other side but I cant remember, if so it has to come off also. That should be the major stuff to get out of the way.

You will have to remove the IC to get access to the power steering pulley for a puller (or if you are lucky, you might have just enough space). Remove the PS pulley to get access to the backet bolts, the completely remove the bracket. Also, if you have a little interference with the Harmonic Balancer plastic cover. The bolt for that is on the bottom of the WP. A nice pull will take care of it. Other than that, you should have plently of space for anything. Go ahead and remove the two belts (not the SC belt). Also, now is a good time to replace those worn out idler pulleys. Check all hoses and make sure to reattach the oil cooler hose!
Regards,
TBSCoupe

the easiest way that i have found to change the pump is to not screw with te power sttring at all. just remove the BIG bracket that holds the alternator and the power steering assembly and push it to the side. there are 3 bolts that hold the bracket on and you will need a universal joint and a 6" extention but it can be done.
if your p/s pulley comes off then that would be the easier way, but when i blew my pump, i couldnt pull my p/s pulley, it was frozen on, so i had to improvise.;)
andrew

Be aware that there is a bolt behind the plastic cover on the bottom of the water pump. I broke my pump when taking it off. Thats what you get for impatince.

Back