help!

custom92sc

Hello everyone, My car is over heating and i can not figure out why. i just put in a bran new radiator as well as i got 3 new fan belt pulleys thre place where i got my car repaired at said i do not need a thermostat but my car is still constiantly over heating. i can not drive very far before it hits hot. My car is a 92 with about 80,000 miles i also have had my water pump replaced and i'm lost and am running out of money thanks alot -jon

I think

This sound like a Thermostat problem!
Its not opening up all the way thus not serculating the water to cool it.does it use water? maybe head gasket is another thing to look for

Hope this helps

The first thing that comes to my mind is how have you determined that it's overheating? Could it be your gauge or sensor is faulty.

After replacing all of that, the thermostat is the cheapest of the group. As if it doesn't open, it'll overheat fast.

maybe its the sensor

try your thermo sensor maybe your fan isnt gettin a signal from the computer or somethin check and see if your fan is turning on and the go to thermo then to gauges

thank you

Thanks to all who responded, I know it's not a faulty reading because after i park the car i can hear the antifreeze boiling that overflowed into the revisor. i think i will check the thermostat before i do anything else at this time. Thanks alot again -Jon

Does the Heater blow cold sometimes or all the time? If so you are low on coolant whether you think you are or not.

Jeff

cold

Yes my air is 99% cold once in a blue moon get hot air and it's very rare. i have thought that i may need coolant and i did put some into my car about a week ago, but i did not think that was th problem because i just got a new radiator, as well as it boils over when i drive it because my car gets to hot. Thanks -Jon

The problem with our cars is that the upper Rad hose and engine are higher than the rad and since water seeks it's own level, (meaning that the lowest point that water sits is also the highest point in the system) and you end up with air in the system. This air insulates the thermostat and keeps it from opening. The times you here the car boil over is the time you need to put water back into the system. Every time it pukes water out it's lost and just puts more air in teh system.

You need to start with a cold engine. Remove the bolt to the right of the water neck. It's the one with the plastic thing that reads replace B4 starting engine or something like that. Be sure to use a backup wrench to keep from twisting the tube. Add coolant to the overflow.

Add coolant until it comes out of the top of the tube. Replace the Rad cap and bolt, start the engine and let it warm up, drive it around the block with some spirit to get the temp up, come home and shut it off. Let it cool totally and add coolant to the overflow as needed. Keep a watch on it for a few weeks.

If you keep driving it like this you WILL blow a headgasket no if's and's or but's about it. I can't stress this enough.

Jeff

Back