Gutted all cats...check engine light problem

jjj_85

I gutted all my cats today and i knew that the check engine light would come on. Earlier this week i saw a thing you plugged into the O2 censors and made the light go off. Anyone know where i can find this? thanks

I think you read wrong. Gutting your cats on these cars will not cause a Check Engine light, I don't even have cats. You might want to check the 02 sensors themselves.

Did you rip the wires out of the sensors when removing the exhaust? You messed something else up or it's just a coincidence.

Jeff

you sure the check engine light doesnt come on in a 4.6L? All i did was unbolt the pipes and unplug the O2 censors, then i gutted them, and bolted it all back up and plugged them back on, and within about 2 minutes of running, the check engine light came on and hasnt gone off since, its been about 50 miles now, any idea on what could be wrong?

Last edited:
94 4.6 is ob2 is think (I'm like 99% sure of this). Either way, you have 2 o2 sensors in each pipe. One before the converter and one after the converter. They make a simulator, that is availible from summit racing that simulates the rear o2 sensor, as if the converters were present, or operating correctly in your case. Just plug them in and clear the code, which will be difficult to say the lease, you can try to disconnect the battery while the headlights are on, this may work, or drive the car for a while like a month or two. This will allow the car to go through 50 drive cycles and the code will clear it's self. Or take it somewhere and have them clear the code, wouldn't pay more than $20.00 bucks to have that done.

Good luck
Tim

The later model SC's fell under ODB2 emissions regulations which calls for a oxy sensor ahead and behind the cat so that a failed cat can generate a failure code.

Without that the computer system can't detect a converter failure.

Thus on those cars, gutting the cat will throw a check engine light and set a code related to the rear oxy sensor/converter.

Mike, I've got a 95 SC, and it only has one sensor per side. The car is not OBD-II. This is probably one reason why 95 was the last year for the SC, Ford didn't want to spend the money to redo the calibration of the motor to make it compliant for the mandatory OBD-II regulations for 1996 model year, when sales for the SC were going down so much. But the 4.6 cars did have the catalyst monitors behind the cats.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

right it has 2 O2 censors on each side, and i knew the light would come on, So all i have to do is buy those things from summit and plug them in to make the light go off?

Yes, and no.

The conditions will be fixed, however the light will not go out right away. It will have to be cleared, by either disconnecting the battery cable with the headlights on (probably won't work) or using a scanner to clear the code. Or wait about a month or 2 for the code to celar it's self. It takes about 50 drive cycles for this to happen.

Good luck
Tim

Sorry I too thought you had an SC. Can't help much with a 4.6. Good luck correcting the problem.

Back