Eliminating EGR, building exhaust

SCHealey

I'm looking for as much information and experience as I can find.
I am currently installing this SC engine in a 1964 Austin Healey and I'm building the exhaust system. There is no emission test required so I'm eliminating the Cats and just combining the two sides 2 1/4" each, through one 2 1/2" muffler.
I would like to eliminate the EGR valve all together but will this cause me problems with the computer system / codes and is there a way to avoid this?
I will install the O2 sensors on both sides but is there anything I should know about there placement?
Any and all info on the matter will be greatly appreciated.
Thank You,
Mat :cool:

Hi Mat..
Sounds like a cool project you have there. In response to your question, removing the EGR is going to throw a Check Engine light unless you eliminate it electronically through a custon chip or EEC Tuner board.
If you are using a manual trans or non electronically controlled automatic you could also just use an EEC from a non EGR SC.
The only SC's that had EGR were the 89-90 5 speeds and all 94's and 95's as far as I remember.
On the subject of O2 sensors since the SC uses an unheated sensor you want to keep them as close to the exh manifold as possible to get them to work properly. One of the sensors actually goes into the stock exhaust manifold if you are using them. I think it is the drivers side.

Hope this helps

Back