Ive got red hot exhust pipes NEED HELP!!!

1990_Tbird_SC

Ok i just got threw putting my engine back together after a headgasket job and ive got a few problems 1. Car will not idle, it trys to idle but cant. 2. after holding the gas pedal down to keep running my tail pipes were red hot exhust manifolds were not red hot and ive got an electrical connetor that is on the fuel rail wiring harness the rear of the engine middle passenger side of the car behind the TB and i have no clue what it is. at this point im very fustrated since me and my father-in-law have put alot of time into this and now the car doesnt wanna work, but one good thing is that the head gaskets are holdin just fine :D

Thanks for your help

Super-hot or glowing pipes is a sign of a lean condition, have you checked for any codes?
About the 3-prong connector, how is it shaped?
Oval, square, etc?
Pic ?

'bird

If that's a single orange wire, about 4" long, it's your oxygen sensor ground and needs to be grounded to the block for your O2 sensors to work properly. It's usually grounded near the FPR. If the feedback from the O2 sensors is bad, your mixture could be way off, causing the glowing.

I dont have a code scanner. I did ground that orange wire you were talking about. 2 connectors on the TB i believe so. The connector is oval grey connector and grey shielding around it. Ill get a picture of it tomorrow and post for you guys cause my and my father-in-law are stumped

When you drop it on it's head, lol

Seriuosly, go down to walmart and for about 25$ you can get a scanner for it, at least then you'll know what problems you have electrically. Timing can be off in about 3 ways.

1. The computer is trying to compensate somehow and retarding it
2. The cam sensor is off.

3. The timing set is off (least likely but it can happen)

Still before you start replacing anything, go get a scanner.

yep there glowin like that? ill pick up a scanner later this week since i wont be workin on the car till the weekend. I really think it has something to do with that electrical connector on the fuel rail

This happened to me a couple of years ago when I didn't know a whole lot about SC's. I had the car in storage for the winter and while it was away I did a whole lot of work to it, come the spring when I first fired it up it ran real rough and the drivers side exhaust manifold was literaly glowing red. I took it to my local ford dealer the very next morning and it was just simpley I had two plug wires in the wrong spot which would cause your manifold to glow because of the unburnt gas igniting in the manifold.

Just double check your wires and hopefully that is all it is.

Mike

Long shot, but here's my two cents. The firing order thing sounds possible. I think there is a misprint on one of the manuals thats out there so be carefull! Also, when you blew headgaskets, how long did you run the car like that. Its possible that your cats might be clogged and that could cause them to glow as well. If they were clogged to begin with that might have caused the hg's to blow :)

Al

I used a haynes manual and my head gaskets didnt really blow the driver side developed a leak out of the rear my exhust never got red hot till now. I never overheated and parked the car the day i noticed the leak so heads are good. If somebody could post the firing order for me and how the numbers are on the ignition coil(i think thats it) i would appricte it, id like to compare it.

Thanks

the hanyes manual is the one with the wrong firing order. i forget just how it goes, but someone here might or try a search for spark plugs, that might help, hope she is better soon,

matt

Just to clear any confusion, the firing order is 1-4-2-5-3-6 thus the coil is placed as follows, with the plug away from you, the top row is 1-2-3 the bottom row is 5-6-4. I'm thinking the last time I checked my haynes it was correct but I will check again to verify.

thanks i printed out the info and will check SC this weekend, hopefully ill be crusin again on monday cause now ive got a loaner Celica 4banger :eek: :)

Thanks for the info

Back