What is code 98??

455Poncho

The link i got to a site on here says its a O2 sensor, but the code book says: "hard fault- fmem". And the Mitchell on demand(shop manual on CD) diagnosis says to look at the fuel pump circuit, and the fix may be an ECU replacement if a fuel pump problem isnt found. Im kinda getting a little worried here. The car runs fine though. No problems at all except a little hesitation when its really cold outside, just after start up.

Hi, 455Poncho.

I know you will say to yourself, "huh?" but thank you for your post. You have caused me to notice that my codes page is inaccurate in the way I need it to be. It was one of the first pages I put together and haven't been there since. I'll fix it asap.

As for your code 98, it is, by all sources I have rechecked, the code for hard fault being present thus putting the car into the FMEM, Failure Management Effects Mode, or what some call the "limp home" mode. As I understand it, there are preset values in the EEC for all sensor inputs that the computer will use to at least attempt to keep the car running until you can get it to a mechanic when a major failure of a part or sensor exists. Sometimes unfortunately it can mean the ECA itself is faulty. Also, according to some sources, sometimes you get this code if a test fails because a component is just not communicating with the EEC by being disconnected.

This is just my 2 cents but I would think that
1. A component wiring is disconnected or faulty.
2. A component has failed.
3. The ECA is faulty

I'm not a mechanic by trade so please don't sue me if I'm wrong. :) Hard fault though is a failure of a component of some kind.

I hope I have helped a bit and I'm sure others out there will know more than I. Best of luck to you.

Thanks a lot. That does help i guess, but now im more confused than ever. The car runs perfectly, if anything i think its a little faster than most SC's (stock). So im first gonna start by replacing the air intake sensor (code 54), then see what happens next. Could the problem be that the air intake sensor is completely disconnected somewhere?? thus bringing up both codes?? Also could the problem be like that mitchell manual said, in the fuel system??

Back