wheel bearings front and back

Thunder8289

I jacked up my car yesterday (89 SC) to do some work and the back wheels are really loose and floopy. There must be a good 2 inches of play in them. I assume that it is probably the wheel bearings. I was also told that one of my front bearings is shot.
How do I tell if the front bearings need replacement?
I know that the front ones are really expensive but I thought I read somewhere that it is way cheaper to replace the front hub/wheel bearing with ones off a newer model if you replace the rotor as well. Do anyone know about this?

The 89-90 front hubs and rotors have a different sized hole in the center of the rotor from the later models. The newer hubs are less expensive than the older hubs, so if you need to update hub and rotor it is probably less expensive to go with the newer style. You’ll have to check pricing in your area. Always use a new hub nut as these are torqued to 250 ft/lbs and should always be replaced.

Info on rear bearing replacement can be found on the SCCoA:

http://www.sccoa.com/articles/rearwheelbearing.php

So the 91 and up are the bigger ones?
The cheapest I can find the front bearing for the 89 is 250.00 canadian. The local ford stealership wants 400.00 canadian.
I just phoned partsource and the price for the 92 is 131.00 and the cheap rotor is 32.00 while the good ones are 89.00.
Are the rotors for the 92 bigger than the ones for the 89.
I was just wondering if there would be some problem having front brakes from a 92 and the rears from the 89 sc?
Thanks

Take a look at the tech article I did on this topic, it's on the Super Coupe Club of Ontario site HERE .

Basically, if you need to do a pair of front bearings on an 89 - 90 car, it makes more sense to go with the much cheaper 91 - 97 bearings, then use the 91 - up rotors, which have the matching hub hole diameter. Calipers and everything else are the same, you might have to bend back the dust shields slightly for clearance. Let me know if I can help you out with the parts, I can ship to Alberta no problem (the dealership I'm at is just outside Toronto).

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

Ed
Almost forgot..
I don't suppose due to the fact that you work at a ford dealership you can get these things at cost?
If so that would be great?
Maybe we could swap.. if you ever need car stereo or home stereo stuff. ...I get it at cost.

I can't buy stuff at cost to re-sell or swap with other people, but I can sell you the parts at a discounted price from retail ... I look after the parts dept. at the dealership.

Send me an e-mail through the link in my signature, or a private message, if you want me to quote some prices on the parts.

thanks !!

Ed N.

one more question

Does the front bearing off of a regular t-bird fit the SC and are they different from ABS to regular brakes.

For the 89 - 90 front wheel hub + bearings, Ford specifies with or without ABS, two different part numbers ... I believe the aftermarket suppliers follow suit on that. For the 1991 - up style bearing assemblies, Ford only supplies them with ABS rings, so there is just one part number. I'm not sure if the aftermarket has two different ones for with / without ABS, you would have to check with one of the suppliers.

cheers
Ed N.

Back