Really Weird

buck92sc

Alright, i have a very strange problem. Its even hard for me to believe it sounds so wacky. Here it is. My alternator has been squeaking quite badly lately. I am positive it is the alternator, and not something near it, because i took the belt off and spun the alternator by hand w/ the engine off and it is quite sqeaky. Well anyways, while it was running today i took off the radiator cap to check fluid level etc. The alternator stopped squeaking. I figured it was a coincidence, because how would the radiator cap effect the alternator squeaking? Well after i put the cap back on a few minutes later the alternator started to squeak again. I took the radiator cap off again to see if it would stop. It did. I did this like 4 times to make sure i wasnt crazy, and the alternator stopped squeaking every time, for about a minute or two. Weird huh? Whats going on? Any opinions? By the way its a new radiator cap from ford.

Kyle

poltergeist sc

maybe your car is posessed, or its your fan turnning on making it draw more power loose belt ? water pump bad? or gods just messin with you.

It's really simple to fix this problem. All you got to do is flush the radiator and fill it with holy water. Your car is inhabitted with demons! Really I think the two have nothing to do with each other. Good Luck with the exercisim.

I know it really is wierd. but it seriously happens. Maybe this could happen?...the radiator builds up pressure, making the water pump work harder and making the belt do something wierd i dont know. It does actually make me sound like a wacko after reading this, but im not bsing lol.

And off the topic i just ordered the Mn12performance front suspension bushing kit. Is everything a direct fit, i think i remember once reading that one of the bushings had to be slightly modified to fit, or something of the such. Thanks

Kyle

And by the way, It is a distinct squeaking coming from the alternator. If i take tension off the belt for a second with the engine running the noise stops (its rather loud). I think the alternator squeaks because a while back after i finished doing my HG job last winter the main belt frayed, and a piece of it slapped the insulation on the underneath of hte hood, causing a rather large hole to be made, fraying out all sorts of hay or hair like ***** everywhwere, made a huge freaking mess. Anyways all that crap got in my alternator ruining the bearing i believe or just somehow making it squeak. I wish another SCer lived arou nd here to witness this freaky *****. i really dont know why the hell it stops when i take the rad cap off. oh well.

I think that Kyle has a point and that is my guess as well. Probably has something to do with harmonics and the way that the belt is loaded as it spins with pressure in the water pump. I have had the dame thing happen on a different car, although I just replaced it under warranty after a few days of squeaking.

I would suggest that you remove the alternator, disassemble the alternator and clean it and put some clean grease in it. If that doesn’t work replace it.

Jeff

Thanks

Thanks jeff, ill take that advice. Ill take the altnernator apart tonite and see what I can do with that, and then ill most likely change the water pump. I knew i should have replaced that last winter before i put the engine back together. I hate taking that stupid bracket off that connects the PS and Water pump. Does that need to be therre, can i just not put it back on so its easier next time, or does it give support to the acc. bracket? Th anks

Kyle

Back