AOD Hell

jalexander06

The valve body on my 1990 SC was destroyed when I took it apart. I switched it out with one out of a 1988 T-bird. I put everything back together and I have no overdrive. I have been told that I am using the wrong lower gasket (not for a 1990) for the valve body. Can I use this valve body? They look very similar. Or is this why I have no overdrive? This transmission has been nothing but trouble. Will I have to find a valve body from 1990 T-bird only?:mad:

AOD info

Well if that valve body is can be used here is what could couse the problems.

First would be the valve body needs to be torques to inch pounds and not torque pounds and also torqued in a sequence starting in the middle out and also to the same specs. I can't remember but the new gasket should of had the specs. If my memory serves me correct I think it should be from 80 to 100.

Second that would cause no overdrive would be the filter bolts. One of them runs into the overdrive passage and if torqued to much will cause no overdrive.

Third would be the overdrive servo named A. This is the strongest factory one put out. The SC has the highest rated that puts the most pressure on the over drive band that slows down and stops the reverse clutch drum for over drive. The earlier AOD had a B rated one and the valve body just might of had smaller passage ways for this. Never mind this one because it still would work just would wear out quicker. This is just food for thought but not to answer your post.

Well give some feed back on what you did when you torqued the valve body and what you torqued it to. Also about the gasket I can't remember but that might of been different to. Call ford and they should be able to tell you.

Hepcat75

Back