Alternator Swap

plev72

Hey all, I've been having problems trying to put an ASP underdrive alternator pulley on my '94 5-speed. My mechanic made a spacer, but it still doesn't work. Can I swap in an older model ('89-'93) alternator? Will this correct the pulley problem and will it be a direct bolt-on swap?

Also, FYI, ASP was NOT helpful. I sent them an email and got one back from a woman there telling me that I MUST be wrong because their pulleys are a direct replacement.

Paul

Hold on here. What exactly is the problem with the pulley? You said your mechanic made a spacer, for what? Tell us the problem and maybe we can help you figure out what is wrong before you go swapping parts in and out.

All you have to do is call ASP direct. Just tell them u got a 94 tbird SC and need the spacer for the alternator pulley they know that the alternator pulley doesn't fit on 94-95 tbirds.They will send it to you free of charge.Here is their # Toll Free 1-877-928-8678, my spacer came in less than a week. Thanks Jimmy

Victor

Last edited:
I made a spacer for mine and it sits okay. When I spin the pulley by hand it wobbles ever so slightly..........I hope that won't be a problem.:(

Thanks, I'll try the number tomorrow, hopefully I'll get a better response on the phone than I got via email. In answer to your question, the problem is that on some '94 and possibly '95 thunderbirds there is a compatibility problem with the underdrive pulleysets - apparently both from ASP and from MARCH as well. Unfortunately it looks like with a properly sized spacer it will push the belt out of alignment, which is why I'm asking about swapping out with an older style alternator - but I will contact ASP tomorrow and see whether they will take care of it.

Paul

I called ASP, the woman at the other end said no problem, so I guess we'll see what happens...

Paul

Good luck. I have my spacer just waiting on the pulleys from summit. Was it hard to install them?

No, if you have a long breaker bar it isn't bad. Only problem is the alternator pulley because the intercooler interferes with getting an airtool in there. You can you a twisty adapter (don't know what it is actually called) and it should work, but there is a good chance you'll destroy the adapter in the process.

Back