Fuel mileage

Blown6

I would just like to hear what kind of mileage you guys are getting out there.I am stock and wondering if I am going through too much fuel.I do notice black smoke(rich)when I am under WOT and the tailpipes are very black.Is this normal for these or should I be doing something to fix it like better air intake or anything like that.I would appreciate any input as it seems most of you know quite a bit about these cars and their characteristics.

When I first got my SC from the previous owner on Jan 2, it was getting about 15mpg (freeway mostly too - ack) and I have no idea what gas he was putting in it.

After an oil change, air filter change, and using 89 in it, i'm up to about 20-23 average with maybe 70% of it being freeway. I'm guessing that after a tuneup with high quality spark plugs and cables, and a transmission check I'll be able to get up to a 25mpg average.

right now I put about $5 in about every other day with maybe 30 miles.. its pathetic...

The black smoke means your running rich, I think that is your o2 sensors, try a search.

Black smoke under WOT is normal for these cars. They programmed them to run rich to try to prevent leaning out under high load leading to detonation. Black smoke all the time means something is wrong. My '95 will get 30mpg on all highway driving. The Cougar gets around 27mpg all highway. My fiancee's '94 also got around 30mpg highway. I have never bothered to check city mileage, but it shouldn't be that bad if it is mostly stock.

It sure is good to hear all these great milage stories...

I would LOVE to get that kind of milage!

Anway, my sad tail is anywhere from 9-12 mpg. Whether it's highway or beating the snot out of it.. I know my chip is rich though. Black smoke under WOT.

Anthony

Not just me then

It sounds like I am in the same boat as you guy's then(except for Kevin,I wish I was getting that).I am getting about 16mpg on a good day with a a tail wind going downhill......
I was thinking that different o2's may solve it somewhat as per previous post(thanx)but there aren't many other things to do to improve it I guess.I have already got Motorcraft platinums,new air filter etc.Oh well,too much damn fun to worry about it. Does anyone have any thoughts that maybe getting the underdrive pullies may help or other enhancements that might help instead of hurt?

Lead feets?

I get in the low 20's most all the time. Combination city/freeway but mostly open road. Using the supercharger a lot will increase your fuel consumption.. but I'll bet you all knew that ;)

As far as WOT, I get mostly a brownish cloud. If you're getting lots of black smoke and nothing's apparent, I'd start by pulling codes. Pay particular attention to the O2 sensors.

I get ~21mpg city and 26mpg freeway with headers/full SCP exhaust, new O2 sensors, new Autolite plugs, 8.5mm wires and 91 octane! I am getting new 3.73 gears so that will probably come down! I have never noticed ANY smoke comming out of my exhaust at WOT, not white or black or brown.

oh, here we have 87, 89, 93 and 94... when I'm cheap I get 93 and when I want my car to have good stuff it gets 94, but 94 is really expensive, like $1.79 a gallon... 93 is $1.53

Billabong089 said:
oh, here we have 87, 89, 93 and 94... when I'm cheap I get 93 and when I want my car to have good stuff it gets 94, but 94 is really expensive, like $1.79 a gallon... 93 is $1.53

[envy] Gas around here is $1.80 on average for 89 and the highest octane around is 91, they got rid of 92

In my 93 I get around 19 when I'm on it really hard, and around 25~27 on the freeway.

Lucky people

MY 95sc5spd gets about 13.5 mpg to 15 mpg depends if i push riding the red zone or get gas and don't chance it. this is also based on a 16 gallon fill up too. Keeping in mind as well 14 miles round trip to work&back, must wonder where all the gas goes.
I do drive tough sometimes, ya know, when someone cuts you off and you cut them off and dump the clutch and get sideways in front of them. Some people gotta learn the hard ways. Some day i'll grow up, just not today.

On another note, my 90 xr7auto, with no OD got 16mpg, same routine. This is my winter car, so it idles more.(warmup time). Just pulled an all nighter to put the new tranny in yesterday, so i don't know what is gunna get now, but this tranny is 100 times better. Both cars also have a 180 stat. and have the biggest k&n cone filter made/air sil. removed.

My 90 5spd (my son has it now) was pure stock and got 18mpg in town and 29mpg on the highway @ 75-80mph - Riverside, CA to Las Vegas and back on 1 tank of gas.
My 90 AOD when stock got about 1mpg less in town and 0.5 less on the road.

BTW cruise control makes a big difference on the road. :D

Back