OIL and THERMOSTAT

BadBird90

ok
I have a 90 sc with 87,000 miles and i am have trouble with ooil it is soo confusing to me. i know that you are supposed to put 5w-30 in but people keep telling me that it is better to use a higher grade for my milage. a buddy of mine that works at advanced auto recomends using 10w-30, with a bottle of lucas oil stabilizer now, and in the summer use mobil 1 15w-50 in the summer with lucas stabilizer. i am sooo confused and need serious help!!!

Also with my thermostat he was telling me that instead of buying another thermostat that i just replaced, which is 195, for me to just drill a few holes in the outer rim of the thermostat to have fluid always circulating through it........ well what do you think, and have you ever heard of this...

the oil doesnt matter, I had 5w-30 but it sorta all leaked out because my friend forgot to take off the rubber gasket before putting on a new filter, yea you can read about that in my previous posts... but anyway so I replaced it with 10w-30. Lots of people will use different oils, 10w is thicker so it might be better for higher mileage.

And about the thermo, yea just replace it or get a lower temp one, when the engine has been sitting over night in 10*F or whatever and you go to start it up, you dont want coolant cooling an already cold engine.

yup

you will probably go through more trouble drilling holes in it then just replacing it anyway, they are only a few bucks. good luck-
Damon

What temp thermostat would you guys recommend? Do you just go to the parts counter and ask for a 160 or 180 degree thermostat? They aren't all the same so what name brand or PN do you ask for? When I replaced mine the guy just gave me the stock 195 degree, but that was before I knew anything about this car. Thanks!

Lucas Products

I am currently use the Lucas Oil Stabilizer w/Kendall 10-30 GT1. At about 160k+ my the oil pressure started to drop. Added a bottle of the Lucas stuff and problem was gone. Don't know if it was a bad sensor but the problem never came back.

i

klsoneSC, there are a few people around this site i believe who use the 160 degree t stat, but most all others when they replace them go with the 180. Most have said that is the best because when you have a 160, it's almost like the t stat stays open constantly so i would personally go with the 180. Keep in mind though ive seen that people hwo have put in the 180 see no difference at all while others see a major difference. It all depends on the car and it's mods i guess. there's lots of other stuff to do along with adding a lower t stat to get the car cooler. good luck!
-Damon

Back