performance mods

bg9219

I want to put some performance mods on my supercoupe. The previous owner did a few things of his own like a 10% pulley, exhaust, b&m rip shift, k&n, bigger intake tube. I want to put more in but i dont want to spend too much. What are some of the cheaper mods i ca0n get?

thanx

gears

put some 3:27's in it.and depends on how handy you are with a wrench on the price gears are 200$ also a raised plenum is good and so is porting ic tubes.

I would say Port your heads. I did it and all the mods I have, I would have to say that is the one I felt the most.I don't know about cost, all i had to pay for was a gasket kit my dad knows a few head porters so the porting was free. While you are at it port your exhaust manifolds. Hope this gives you some ideas.

Victor

sry this is late, but go with a lightweight flywheel. it will do wonders! i heard some people may be getttin up to a half second faster with this one mod. i dunno how much they cost or where you can get one but its a good mod from what i hear.

I have almost the same start as you do... I'm going to have to go with Steve on this one, definately most cheap bang for the buck is going to be underdrive pulleys... just be careful if you have a '94 and make sure that they include the spacer. Otherwise, if you have a late model, the supercharger top is easy to remove, you can buy a 3/4" inch spacer for $90 or $95 that should be good for a few HP. Unfortunately there really aren't too many CHEAP mods to be done... maybe Iridium plugs if you can replace them yourself, also MAF and Throttle body are pretty easy to replace, but I don't know that they'll give you a great deal of extra oomph. Flywheel is a good upgrade, but VERY expensive in both parts and labor. I think the standard starter mods are:

1. Exhaust ($400 give or take)
2. 5% or 10% pulley ($65-$75)
Intake (I paid $180 for custom ram-air mandrel bent 3" and K&N cone)
Underdrive pulleys ($160 for ASP steel, $260(?) for March Aluminum (which I'd buy if I were to do it again)
Raised top ($250????) or 3/4" spacer ($90-$100)
double intercooler ($60-$100 for 2nd core, plus labor $200-$450)
plenum (??? don't know, check out magnum powers)
throttle body ($250????)
MAF ($160-$200)

New plugs are always good for a few HP over old plugs, but they are a royal pain to replace (NGK Iridium $7.99 each) as well as wires (magnacor $75-$90)

Porting is great if you can do it yourself, not sure what you'll see in the way of gain though and it does involve taking things apart...

Back