Prices

Brandon

I don't want to start anything by asking this, but does anyone know if the prices on performance parts for these cars will come down? Particularly I'm talking about the Magnum Powers intake plenum. I just can't see paying $500 for this piece. I've heard it will make a huge difference in performance, but I will have a small fortune rapped up in this thing!! Ok...enough of my rant.

I understand your frustration, BUT...you need to understand things. 1) anybody who is selling parts to us probably had to develop the parts on their own on their dime. 2) that plenum required some tooling to make, they didn't just carve it from a piece of aluminum (tooling =$$$). 3) anybody selling parts to the SC community has a pretty limited number of potential customers, thus the ability to recoup the costs from 1) and 2) is limited. this is reflected in the prices that you see. For what it is worth, the limited suppliers to our community have done a lot of work to bring the products that they have to market and they are pretty damn good quality. I would be happy we even have a choice at all. A few years ago, many of the parts that we can buy were not available and were nothing more than a pipe dream.

Brandon, to put it bluntly, if you want a car this cheap to modify, get yourself a 5.0 Mustang. Our T-Birds are not nearly as plentiful as the Stangs, and the market for modifying them is a smaller percentage of the total number as well. Unfortunately it boils down to economics ... if a vendor or manufacturer is only selling one of a certain type of item vs. twenty, or a hundred, of another, guess which one will be cheaper ?? :)

This is our cross to bear, the price we have to pay, for having cars that are classier, more comfortable, and more unique than the 5.0 Stangs. ;)

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

Or you can try porting the stock plenum.

It will not give as much HP as the magnum powers peice........but it will be much better that a stock one.

screw that you want cheap power and lots of aftermarket parts get a CHEVY there I said it. :)

If you pay attention and play your cards right you can pick up the parts used for substantially cheaper than new, you just have to be at the right place at the right time. Also, periodically improved parts are made which can push down the earlier aftermarket performance parts. Another thing you can check is alternative ways of doing things. For example, see if you can find someone who is willing to make you a double intercooler locally, you might be able to get that sorted for $250. Also, instead of getting a 'raised top' you might see about getting a 3/4 spacer which will only cost you about $90 and should show you significant improvement.

All of you guys are right. That's why I bought an SC...class, comfort, etc...I guess I'll just have to deal with the prices and slowly buy each piece. Anyone can own and modify a Stang and I'd probably be disowned if I bought a Chevy.

fast Ed N said:
This is our cross to bear, the price we have to pay, for having cars that are classier, more comfortable, and more unique than the 5.0 Stangs. ;)

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

Hey, look at what you get!!!!

I have personally seen what some people deem as expensive parts. Let's look at blowers for example. I thought, how hard can it bee to port a blower. Then I saw the ESM and Magnum Powers powers and WOW!!!!!! Holy lot of work Batman!!!!!......

The whole thing is, you buy a car because you like it. Saab owners pay RIDICULUS prices for parts and labor.

So do many other special car owners. You have one of the best cars Ford ever came out with.

GREAT RIDE< GREAT PERFORMANCE< GREAT CAR!!!!!!!!!

As I say about America......"LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT!!!!!!!!!!"

Don

:D

if your like me no money

do it your self this mod cost me $25 total...... its no magnum powers ,,,,but its better than stock..... the intake can be modded to fit easly,,,,,, port stock intake plenum or make one,,,,,, I made a stock type from 3 inch pipe,,,,, before the inverted bug bit me. heres what Im doing to a blower it requires a small rib between the bearing bosses and some grinding,,,,,, a baffle is in the works to cut down on windage..... but still let air in instead of the solid peice magnum powers uses.

Attachments

• blower1.jpg
    blower1.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:
and mod plenum like this

heres a pre picture of my old intake plenum . sorry the real ones gone this is just a drawing . but it only takes a few hours to make this a reality. you can do this with a propane torch and some aluma rite fill in top of openning then grind away, and flaten out face with a file and a flat sander its straight as hell and dont leak, like I said Im cheap. but my new one is being finished on a mill. just in case.

Attachments

• picture 108.jpg
    picture 108.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
also the mass on 92 up can be made to

the mass on 92 up can be made to flow more by cutting out the center post ,,,,and drilling out sampling tube to 15/32 ,,,,,, ive been told it dont work ,,,but mine kicks butt.. pics soon as I remove it from my car,,, tomorrow maybe.

Last edited:
Manny-
I understand the principle of carving out the MAF to remove the center post. We have done this to our Ranger for a little while, usually makes them run a little rich but gives a nice 5-7 HP. But I don't understand why you would be drilling out the sample tube. My thought, and correct me if I am wrong, the sample tube size is sized for the injectors. If you limit the amount of air sampling, you are more or less limiting the amount of fuel, which in our cars isn't a bad thing because they run rich anyways. So in theory, if you drill out the sampling tube to a larger size, you would be making the motor richer and therefore hurting performance. OR- are you drilling out the tube to compensate for the increased air flow from the MAF mod? Just trying to figure out where you are coming from. BTW, I have this planned for the weekend.
Jonathan Hays

drill

drilling out the sampling tube is to compansate for the larger mass flow you remove the plate that blocks the tube and drill it out , so more air flows thru it , we made some calculations of material removed and opened up tube a corisponding amout it works great... Im also working on a 1 inch secondary tb that is plumed in just before blower when throttle positioning sensor reaches full throttle a solinoid kicks in this 1" mini tb thats routed to just behind mass so its flow is reg at mass no expencive tb . just extra flow for about another $35. like I said im cheap and plan on turnning sc world upside down. with cheap upgrades.. including some shorty headers Im making with 3 inch collecters.. my buddys own a exh shop and are helping me out they also build race trucks for nascar. so lots of tools to work with .

Back