it's a knocking

91 XR7

Here's the story..

IYou start driving the car and it's all good.. about 10 miles or less into the drive you hear a `knocking' type noise from behind you.. futher down the road it starts gettign worse and you can almost start feeling it when it gets really loud...

BUT..
The Noise seems only to be there well cruising and under light Accelleration.. Under Medium and hard it's not there.. under decelleration you hear it once in a while.. under braking, it's not there...

ALMOST sounds like a halfshaft is about to go.. (Driven my share of FWD with bad halfshafts:) ) and drivers has some play left-right (movement the length of the shaft) don't know EXACTLY where the movement is.. just know it's moving.. also seems once inawhile to have movement up and down.. (once again not shure exactly where.. all this was done in a underground parking lot, not light by feel only :) ) but the passenger side feels nice and tight, no movement in any diection..

Also The diff is rebuilt (? looked it when i put it in), New U-joints and a balanced driveshaft, and the companion flange bolts are tight.. and wheel breasing seem good.. (never spun them, but no movement)

Did i miss any info??? if anyone can help please do so :)

Also can you use a 5spd right halfshaft on the left side??

Thanks in advance..

Well the car has gotten worse...

the knocking is more noticeable and now there's a Metal-on-metal squeel.. But in the MAX 20 miles i've driving it since the last time i check the wheel bearings, the passenger ear is getting some slop.. and the squeel seems to be coming from that side of the car.... so.. I've had 2 rear bearings go (drivers both times) NEITHER made this kinda noise..

SO i think this weekend I may try changing out the Knuckle with another use one and see what happens..

unless someone else mayhave an eye what to look at...

Sound familiar!

It sound like you have a rod knock. I have had rod bearing problems in my 1991 Thunderbird. Let me guess. It get's louder as you rev it, and your low oil pressure light comes on after a long drive while idling in drive at a stop light. That is if you have an automatic. Your rod bearings are worn and there is too much clearance between the bearings and the crank journals. This knock will get louder until the bearing is destroyed. Once the bearing is destroyed the you will hear a loud rod knock along with the piston hitting the cylinder head.
You will need to have the crank journals machined and oversized bearings installed.

Good Luck!

The Noise seems only to be there well cruising and under light Accelleration.. Under Medium and hard it's not there.. under decelleration you hear it once in a while.. under braking, it's not there...

Back