View Full Version : paint on the interior switch panel on doors

01-14-2003, 11:50 AM
I know that this has been covered before. I searched this morning and last night and didnt come up with the previous articles. I was wondering what i can use to paint the interior door switch panels. It is a rubberized coating it looks like. Mine is pealing off bad. there was a paint that has been mentioned but i do not remember what it was called. Any help would be great. Thanks

01-14-2003, 12:22 PM
I'm with you on this one, mine's been bugging me. Right on the bend it's cracked. I was thinking about taking it off and painting, but I'm not sure how to keep the lettering on the window/lock/mirror on there without leaving it looking obviously taped off and discolored. I've been meaning to check and see if they still sell these. Had the door off last week. That is actually a metal cover that goes over it. There are tabs that hold it on there. Would be nice to replace that cover. Unless there are some good tips on sanding this thing down and painting in such a way that the lettering is there and can look new?

Tim Groth
01-14-2003, 03:32 PM
I went to Advanced and bought a can of Plasti Kote Flexible bumper & trim paint. I think it ran me around 4.95 or something...

Be sure to get the Semi-glass the can code is 1895. As for the lettering I took scotch tape from my desk, taped off the area, used a razor blade to get it as close to the lettering as possible without it showin and then I sprayed. As for the preping I used 1200 grit paper. Also works great to do the trim on your exterior if the ford yellow starts showing thur. After I got my car sprayed I used it on my covers, I'll attach a picture of my 90 Base "SC"

Here's some pictures:

01-14-2003, 03:38 PM
cool that is exactly what i was looking for. Thanks. nice car. this cars are so dam addicting. i want to get a mustang to screw around with and take to the track. the other day i ran into another sc that i really like. now i've been thinking about trying to buy that one instead. to many birds so little money.

01-14-2003, 05:00 PM
Do you mean the black stripe trim strips on the car? I've got a little yellow on the top of one of those strips, but I had no idea what it was, or thought it was glue or something. Is that trim held on with an adhesive or does it pop into holes underneath? How did you remove it? That project was on my list too, thought I'd have to replace that section of trim.

Mine may be glue that I'm thinking of, I don't know. I think my trim has been off at some point.

01-14-2003, 05:20 PM
Another thing you could do is forget masking off the existing lettering. Sand it off and paint over the whole thing. Then you can go to a Hobby Shack or something and buy some press on letters in whatever font type pleases you. Slap on what ever you want it to say and spray the whole thing over with some 3M dull coat or something to protect the finish. Just a thought.

01-14-2003, 06:50 PM
I got some aircraft paint remover or what not from autozone and stripped the paint off with that and a small 1 inch plastic scraper. And then just wiped it down. I have the gray interior with chrome striping and now it looks really neat. The switch covers are all nice and shiny. Just an idea.

Tim Groth
01-16-2003, 10:08 AM
Here's a picture to help you understand what I'm refering to...
Notice the yellow showing on the black trim? I've since painted it with the same paint I refered to earlier and it looks like new! It's perfect. I used it on all my trim on the brown/gold car above. Great stuff if you don't overspray. It's almost like a latex paint once it's a applied...kind of rubbery.

If you have yellowing other than on your Front or Rear covers then I would have to say it's glue because the door trim is a solid black rubber strip.

Hope I helped.


01-16-2003, 02:17 PM
I had thought about doing like 91BLOWNSC. MOst earlier cars have metal under the paint. I'm thinking strip it and polish it but I don't know yet. I did paint mine about 2 yrs ago on my 91 Base and they are now flaking off.

01-16-2003, 02:31 PM
Thanks Tim, that is a help. Yeah, this is glue someone put on there pretty sloppy and smeared it. I guess the trim pieces are either put on with adhesive, or they broke any tabs in there and had to resort to taht. I may try to hide it though with that paint after some light sanding on it. Might as well give the switch panels a shot too, if it doesn't look right (read: poor paint job on my part) I won't have lost anything.

Tim Groth
01-16-2003, 10:04 PM
Hmmm they used Glue? Geez that was over kill. My trim is held on with 3m tape. No tabs or anything hold them on, they just stick there.

Glad I could help.


01-19-2003, 07:23 PM
Okay, the yellow is in fact the black wearing off. It's not the doors, but the strips in front of the front wheels, that 12" section or so. Worse, looking really close, it looks like its been painted before. There's a little black overspray on the body. I hate that, but I'm getting really anal about this car. Now I'm thinking I need to pull those two strips off, paint as Tim described, figure out a way to get that overspray off and put these back. Or, get new strips. Know of a good way to get that kind of paint off without damaging the body's paint?

01-19-2003, 09:37 PM
Bill, I do believe those "strips" are molded into the bumper (front and rear respectively) itself, and cannot be redily removed. The door and bodyside mouldings are the only ones that can be removed as far as I know.

Anyone else know otherwise?

01-19-2003, 10:04 PM
Aw crap, you're right! Guess that's one more incentive for getting the front piece repainted (& hood). I did buy that paint Tim recommended, but the overspray bugs me.