3 Tech Questions From A Newbie

wwotr

Hello!
I posted this same thread to the New Owners Forum and then thought that maybe it should have gone here instead ,so.....................

Hey,
Just bought a 1990 Red SC on Saturday.
I'm not a stranger to the SC ,as I had another 90 SC (about 7 years ago) but had to sell it for financial reasons.
My SC I bought was from the ORIGINAL owner.
This thing could just about pass for showroom condition!:D
Red with Black Leather.I was going to do some mods to the drive pully and chip but after reading the FAQ's I've decided to go with a flowmaster and new exhaust, (which brings me to some questions):

1)Does the SC have "true" dual exhaust,
by that I mean like 2 seperate pipes on each side?
Who here has done an exhaust mod?
Can you HAVE 2 seperate exhaust pipes with 2 Flowmasters?
How about the exhaust pipe diameter, keep it the same diameter or go bigger and if so, how big?
Whats the "comman" exhaust mod as far as just exhaust pipes?

2)8 out of 10 times (when I apply the brake) might brake light comes on VERY QUICKLY and goes out and at the same time my "antilock" light comes on for about 3 seconds and then goes out. Whats up with that?

I've seen alot of For Sale ads that say "ABS Switch/computer replaced".Is this an inherant problem with the SC's and how does one fix it (and the cost)?

3)When I turn on the radio, the reception is the "shits"! The speakers on the Right side seem to "cut out/crackle" but when I put in a CD , the problem goes away.
Could it be the Right output of the radio is going bad or the antenna?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :eek: :confused: :confused:

Thanks for all your help in advance!
Roger

hmm..

No the SC does not have true dual exhaust. Your best bet, in my personal opinion, would be to take it to a trusted exhaust shop and have them create you a good exhaust system with new downtubes because: A: it will probably be cheaper, and B: I don't beleive they make cat-back exhaust systems for the 89-91 SC's anymore. Secondly, you will want to increase your exhaust size. I heard 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch is usually the universal rule for exhaust systems. The current system is 2 1/4 inch. It is possible to have "true" dual exhaust. I do not have it so im not one to ask how you can do this. Im sure others will reply, so just be patient.
For your second question, did you check the fluid level? From what I know if the fluid is slightly low in the resivor it can cause "brake" light to come on. But you described that the anti-lock light came on also, so that could be a seperate or related problem.

No, the SC does not have "true" dual exhaust. Check the "for sale" forum....Gary Kuhn has a dual exhaust for sale with Flowmasters. That's about all I can answer for ya...other people know much more on this subject.

wwotr said:
1)Does the SC have "true" dual exhaust,
by that I mean like 2 seperate pipes on each side?
Who here has done an exhaust mod?
Can you HAVE 2 seperate exhaust pipes with 2 Flowmasters?
How about the exhaust pipe diameter, keep it the same diameter or go bigger and if so, how big?
Whats the "comman" exhaust mod as far as just exhaust pipes?

Question 2 sounds like your accumulator is going bad. Black round 3-1/2" or so diameter 'bomb' looking thing located to the left of your master cylinder.
Prior manufacturing sells them for $100.00.

Question 3. Sounds like your radio is bad. I have two SC-s , one I drive in the winter, and one for summer. The radio will cut out on one side like you describe, but when I switch in my "good" radio, everythings fine. (And for years I thought it was the amp).

Back