Supercharging my naturally aspirated 91 TBird 3.8

Mike Combs

I'm looking to install a supercharger from a 1989 Mercury Cougar XR7 onto my 1991 Ford Thunderbird 3.8L V6. I'm curiuos about some of the incompatibilities that I will encounter. I have a new from Ford 3.8L V6 "naturally aspirated" engine that I want to install when I get the supercharger. It is complete with injectors, distributer, oil pump, water pump, and ect...
I know that I need to upgrade the 19lb/hr injectors to 30lb/hr injectors, but do I need to replace the:
1. Computer
2. Fuel pressure regulator
3. Camshaft
4. or Wiring harness??

Can I run the stock 9:1 compression even though the SC models run 8.2:1, or will it blow when boost is achieved? Basically, can I run a supercharger on a "naturally aspiated" engine without doing any internal modifications (cam, head, or rod)?

Also, I'm still running the stock 7.5" rear diff. Should I upgrade to the 8.8" rear-end. I already have a 8.8" posi and a line on a compatible housing??

Thanks,
Mike

I think there is still an article in the FAQ section detailing some of the things that Ford did to upgrade the 3.8 to run boost. You might want to check that out.

I checked, but no luck. Please, anybody, help me?? I need to find out if this upgrade is feasable before the parts are sold to someone else.

Please Help!! Please Help!! Please Help!! Please Help!! Please Help!! Please Help!! Please Help!! Please Help!! Please Help!! Please Help!! Please Help!! Please Help!! Please Help!! Please Help!! Please Help!! Please Help!! Please Help!! Please Help!! Please Help!! Please Help!! Please Help!! Please Help!! Please Help!! Please Help!! Please Help!! Please Help!! Please Help!! Please Help!! Please Help!! Please Help!! Please Help!! Please Help!! Please Help!! Please Help!! Please Help!! Please Help!! Please Help!! Please Help!! Please Help!! Please Help!! Please Help!! Please Help!! Please Help!! Please Help!! Please Help!! Please Help!! Please Help!! Please Help!! Please Help!! Please Help!! Please Help!! Please Help!! Please Help!! Please Help!!

Let me tell you this. I was in the same situation a couple years ago. i had a regular thunderbird and wanted to sc it. after looking at all of the stuff that is different on the sc than the n/a i decided it was much easier to buy an sc. from what i know the block is thicker, most of the internals are different, different heads, compression, and many many more things. in my opinion you would be better off buying an sc because you will go through alot less hassle and problems and everything will be there and ready to go.

I know what you mean. Maybe I'm just prone to learning the hard way. Because I got ahold of a 81k mile grannymobile, I want to keep this car, but also want more power.I was told by some people who have added a TBird SC to there Mustangs and it worked great. Its not unlike adding a Paxton centrifugal blower to a usually N/A car. The only real problems are compression and fuel flow.

I appriciate the help!

I thought about getting a V8, but I already have the new V6 engine. A V8 also requires a new ECM, exhaust, engine wiring, and it won't pass emissions.

Mike the SC will require all of those things that the V8 required.
A V8 also requires a new ECM, exhaust, engine wiring,
The wiring harness is completly diffrent from a stock N/A motor, The computer will need changed, the radiator is diffrent, the P/S lines are diffrent, the A/C lines are diffrent., ECT ECT ECT.
If you are really want to do a LX to SC conversion, here is what I would do, sell the LX (advertise the new motor and that it was a grandma car) ask a good amount for the car. Take that money and 1. Go look at SC, or 2 buy an LX like the one you sold with a junk motor in it, and buy it cheap, find a SC motor and harness and junk and do the swap.
The NA motor can be boosted, but only to 5 psi at the most. It's really not worth the work involved in it. Beside even if you buy the SC parts and swap them on your LX's new N/A motor, there is no garuntee that it will run right and even if it does run good, you wont be able to run stock boost, and you are going to have to listen for spark knock and all those kinda things that comes from SC and NA motor. Also if you do the swap and it all works out for you and the motor runs good, you are not going to have all the cool options that were SC only things like the ARC (firm ride controler) and all that stuff. These things are part of the fun of owning a SC.

Your best bet is to sell the LX and buy an SC, I bought mine with blown head gaskets, and a bad cam sensor for 800.00 bucks, and mine is fully loaded (click on the link to see the pictures) people don't know what these cars are really worth.

Good luck in whatever you do, and I'm sure that if you decide that you are going to do this, just remember I'm sure that everyone here will do their best help you out in any way that they can.

As the others have said, SCing a NA engine isn't really worth the time. More than likely it will come apart under boost (SC's have forged steel cranks plus thicker blocks/heads). You have to consider that the ignition system is also different and would have to be changed due to clearence issues with the blower, also the drivetrain (tranny/driveshaft/axles) are heavier on the SC. If you're going to go throught the trouble of swapping engines, you're much better off with a V8 (plus it would end up much cheaper) or buy an SC.

If you want to do it go for it. If money is the problem on selling the car you have now and buying a real SC then you are not thinking this through. I would be willing to bet it will cost you more to buy a M90, intake, throttle body, IC tubes, IC, SC radiator, DIS, wiring harness, etc etc than the price difference between a SC and a LX. Plus you will ether have to use a SC EEC or get custom burned chip. I had a 90 Cougar LS and the car was perfect. Upgrading it's power was just not feasable. I sold the 90 Cougar LS with 100,000 miles for $2800, and bought the 89 SC with 92,000 miles for $3500. This was in Oct. 2000 look here for pics of my red Cougar and Titanium 89 SC: www.shockwavegaming.com/sc

Look over on the TCCoA if you want more advice for this is asked about twice a month. The bottom line is this though. IF you put the SC blower on the NA it's going to blow up! Over on the TCCoA try to talk to either "'RodeoJoe" or "RancherLee" I think rancherlee is putting a charger he got off Ebay on his 3.8 and well right now his 3.8 runs almost as good times as a V8.

Hope that helps, I too was in this boat and that's now why I have 2 t-birds :D

-Tim

invert it

you can keep your dist, and all other stuff just use a intake from me and you supply the blower, run it at 7-8 lbs boost no problem I can mount the blower to work out to your belts. Im doing one for a 2.8 ford v 6 its awsome. were under driving the blower to get 8 lbs boost at 5,500 the motor turns 8,000 rpms and makes 10 lbs at 7,700 rpms, were putting it in a early capri. so its possible with inverted but lots of $$$ to do it stock , look at my site click on my sig at bottom of post then we can talk.

I alraedy have the blower, intake, radiator w/intercooler, all of the tubes, and ect...
I don't really want to buy any aftermarket parts because I don't want to tie money up into an engine that will probably blow.
I think my best bet is to find a SC longblock to rebuild or sell the SC setup I have.
I only want to SC my TB if it will be easy and reliable.

Thanks for all of the replies!!

You should really talk to RancherLee. I was there when he had his car tuned, and he pulled higher #'s than some of the 4.6's there. I he is going to put a blower on that engine.

Basically what most of these guys said was right... you will blow the bottom end if you put all the sc stuff ontop of it.

Let just say you were to get an sc motor, just some of the other things you will need to make your car reliable...

New tranny from an Sc or v8.
8.8 Rearend
Halfshalfs from Sc or v8
New Shocks
New Springs
EEC and Wiring from SC
Radiator from SC
Better Exhaust
Bigger Fuel pump
Bigger Injectors 30# minimum

Not worth is IMOH. Sell the lx and buy an Sc if you want more power.

Chris

Back