cold air inductions system

danekejt

In the summer i installed this cold air induction system http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6764&item=1876797957. about 2 months later i started getting a condition that the check engine light would come on and then the car would barely idle. to the point were it seems it is going to stall out completely.

i took my car to the mechanic today to have him do my brakes and cut my rotors. I asked him if he could pull the codes to see what the problem is. he says that it is the maf. he says it is being caused by that induction system listed above that i installed. i dont beleive that is the cause. could it be that the maf is going bad?

The problem is not the result of using a cold air intake (the Densecharger in this case). It could be related to the installation of the system, though. It is possible that some small amount of trash could have gotten into the system during install. If the trash became stuck to the tiny wire inside the MAF sensor, it would cause all kinds of idle problems. I would suggest removing the MAK sensor and cleaning the wire filament. There are instructions on how to do this over on the TCCoA site, and probably here too.

A K&N filter and more air is a good thing........

ok that is what i was thinking to. i will check the wire element and see if there is junk there. thanks

K & N AIR FILTER

Do they make a K & N Air Filter for the 90 SC?
Does anyone have a part number?
I though this would be a simple install to help the engine breathe more.
I don't think I can screw-up too much by diong this?:rolleyes:

Roger

One problem with a K&N air filter is that if there is too much oil in the filter it can get pulled into the maf. Then the oil coated wires in the maf cannot accurately monitor the air coming in. I agree with LJGriggs that you should try cleaning the maf first.

MAF Cleaning Procedure

thanks for all the info. i really appreciate all your help on this. i just hope that i am as helpful at times. Thanks again.

Yes, there are K&N filters that will fit the SC. They make a panel filter that will replace the regular panel filter in the stock airbox, or if you install a cold-air-intake (either the behind-the-bumper design or the modified airbox kind) you can use a cone filter. I decided to go with the DenseCharger kit (I got it from Stephen Crist @ http://www.geocities.com/stephencrist/ ) The site is being redesigned but he also markets these via EBay for less than $100.00 (delivered price). The kit comes with a K&N cone filter.

hey i know this doesnt apply to this link but i figured id ask you guys anyway. check out this link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1876832539&category=33586 and let me know what you think of it. I also bought my induction kit from him and he was very good. do you know any one that is using this. i need new shocks for my car and i was just going to buy the ones from supercoupe.com. i had planned on lowering my car later this year but if this kit turns out to be decent i will just do it now. how are the springs in this. Thanks again for all the help.

K&N air filter

Hey could you give me the link to where Stephen Crist sells the K&N air filter kit on ebay, I cant find it and the link you have doesn't work.

How is the kit? Does it work great or what?
Let me know.

Hey JD, about those springs and shocks....

I have that same setup on my '92 SC. Some people will tell you that the Tokico Illumina II shock/spring combo is not as good as Eibach's with Bilstein's, HR's with Koni's, etc...... but I haven't had any problems. The ride is about the same as stock in "auto" and is a little stiffer in "firm". The biggest difference in this setup and all others is that you get to keep the "Auto" and "Firm" functionality. I also like the 1.25" drop. The car has a very subtle lowered appearance. Its like it came from the factory with a lowered stance.

As far as pricing, I got mine from Shox.com early last year and Stephen's price seems to be in line with what I paid. Both suppliers are very reputable, and I have dealt with some who aren't......fortunately they (scperformance) don't seem to be in business anymore...

If you're wanting to get the Advanced Handling Suspension KIT ILK222, I would suggest getting it cheaper elsewheres.

519USD Shipped from https://www.olyonline.com/Tokico.htm, ask for Ralph at 1-800-370-0041. He matched the same price as shox.com. Don't be fool about the price showing on the web site.......he will match their price for the same kit!!! Trust me!

Cheers,
Calvin

Last edited:
If cleaning your MAF didn't solve the problem there is one more possibility. From what I have heard you are not supposed to have any bends before the MAF, it creates turbulence that interferes with the readings taken by the MAF. Some intakes are setup so that the bends occur after the MAF in the intake system.

i have a MAC intake (which bends before the maf) i think all that stuff about its bad for it is crap. mine runs perfect, no detonation, no hesitating, nothing. all on 92 gas, 10lbs of boost (stock pulley with exhaust and heads) and nitrous.

Also, check for vac leaks. pdennis had his pcv hose come off and it was doing the same kind of stuff.

good luck.

I didn't oil my K&N, guess thats why my mass air went south:D.If you guys have a auto parts store near you and they have the K&N panle filter on display showing how much more air it flows than a paper filter. Ask the guy if you can spray it with the oil and watch the ball drop big time. HAHAHA

thanks again for all the suggestions. some good ones that i didnt think of. i will check them out and let you know what i find. thanks

T-bird4vr,
I did notice a louder whine after i installed it but i dont think it is really loud if that is what you are looking for. i like the system. glad i installed it though. notice a differance in performance.

please inform me on cold air intakes

i own a 1990 sc and only have KandN and want a cold air system but ive heard some bad things about drivin in the rain with one. I usualy drive everyday so cant afford to not drive.Also does it sound any diffrent?whats the best one? please inform me thanks.

Back