how much coil to cut spring

lostsoul74

eh guys, ok i've done all the reading I could on lowering my ride so far, and listoning to varied opinions and taking into account my finances right now (having a baby), I've decided to cut my springs. I know I know... but Eibach doesnt give me the height I want, nor does the idea of dissasembling my entire suspension make me smile, H & R is too stiff (rough roads upstate NY), intrax leaves the front too high and sags over time, sprint.... etc. still looking into dropzone lowering springs for 101 bucks at dropzonesuspension.com model number dz2200. I dont feel like waiting till next winter to make her look better so I'm gona cut the spring. lowering springs are stiffer than stock, yet also if you cut the spring, you also make them stiffer then stock (it does, reguardless of opinion, it's fact). you may loose the progressive rate, but it's not softer so it shouldnt be bouncy, thats determined by the struts or shock at that point.

My question, for a 2 inch drop, exactly how much spring do I cut, (I dont want a mathmatical equasion :) ) ie: so just tell me 1 1/4 coil or what ever it is??? And since I just recently got the bird and the weather up here, I havnt had the chance to get undernieth her. So I really dont know what I'm dealing with.

tell me how I'm doing so far. From what I hear, I just simply jack her up, rent or buy some spring compressors, and cut the desired coil amount off the bottom (side grinder). (friend will be squirting water while I cut to limit heat transfer) do the same for all 4, let her down and shes done... it cant be that simple is it?????

....Please...... somebody whos done it to theirs, give me feed back, step by step, and exaclty how much coil to cut....

thanks alot guys...

eric

Last edited:
I thought that people only cut the springs on Honda Civics I have heard nothing but bad horror stories from cutting the springs on them it must be worse on an SC

searching the post here and tccoa, those that have cut there springs had nothing ill to say about it. people tend to think that cutting only weakens and you bounce all over, but as described as above, cutting a coil only stiffins the spring rate, you may loose some of the progressive rate, but bouncy bouncy comes from not getting the right shocks/struts for that height drop. And theres actually quite a good percent of people that cut rather then go all new, and from those that i've read here, most say they havnt had much of a difference in ride quality, i'd probably go with cutting factory over say H&R which are too stiff and you feel everything. All I need to know is if this standard jack and clamp method which was common back in teh day with the locals will work on our rides, and how much spring to cut. I need feedback from those with cut springs. I want 2 in front and 1 1/2 rear (rear is sagged).

thanks gents

Back