Water Pump Issue

NorthrnSCownr

My Water Pump issue, is that I have just noticed that the previous owner (crooked dealer) put a wad of silicone on the Water Pump Vent. There is a small amount of coolant that drips down on the parts beneath, but it's not bad at all.
<p> My question is what are the potential problums I could run into with this not so good pump, as I wait for an opportunity to work on it? I have small leak from my Valve Cover Gasket, so I will take the pump off anyway to get at that, but here in Maine, it's about 20 degrees on the warm side, and garage access is hard to come by where I am. I am thinking of driving it to a friends garage a few hundred miles away since I am do for a visit anyhow. I have noticed that the small Valve Cover leak basically stopps once the car is warmed up, so I am not too concerned with that, but I sure don't want the pump to go on me while I am heading down south! <p> What are the symptoms of a blown pump? And would it go slowly, or all at once? <P> All help is warmly appreciated :)

weep hole

Seal is going in pump ..thats what the hole is for.. leaks past the seal and out the hole ..so you weep cause you can only replace it ...not something you want to drive very long and feel you still have a dependable car .so replace the pump and it's cheaper than a flat bed

Or just keep a jug of antifreeze+water (mostly water) in the trunk in case you need it until it warms up enough to make the job not so bad.

The friend I mentioned actually has a T-bird, and is familiar with fords. He told me that the pumps usually go slowly, especially if I drive like my grandfather, and in cold weather...:cool:

Similar situation.

I flushed and refilled my coolant system last October in the normal fashion and noticed that when I started her up after the refill a little coolant bubbled out of the weep hole and stopped. I drove it a few days and once in awhile a few more drops came out. I've been driving it sparingly this winter to keep it clean and out of the snow and salt but really have not seen any more coolant dribble out.

What do you think my prognosis is? I don't plan to get the pump replaced until I see a little more problem. I'm expecting it to not fail all at once but I'm also not driving long distances either.

Puzzled.

Back