Help!!!!!!!!!

romigh871

Ok... I was driving to school this morning, as i was pulling into my parking spot at idle speed my car shut off. I stoped the car and tried to start it and i would go. It turns over at normal speed but does not accually start and run. Me and my friend thought about it durning class and decided to make sure that i was getting spark from the coil pack. We took a timming light and hooked it up to the wire and then to the point that the wire plugs into and no light. So i went out and bought a new DIS and installed that and still nothing happened. Does anyone have an idea of what it could be. My next guess would be the crank position sensor or the coil box. If anyone has an idea please tell me. Also the fuel pump is still turning on when i try to start the car.

Sean

i would say crank sensor. mine went out and the car wouldn't start. try two things. check to see if the upshift light comes on when you try to start the car, it's a yellow light on the bottom of the tach (don't know if you know that already, but if not you do now). also try having your friend try to start the car while you listen for the injectors firing. get as close to them as you can up by the sc top seems to be a good spot. if the light comes on or you don't hear the injectors its a REAL good chance it's the crank sensor.

Definate answer

If that little yellow arrow (upshift light) under the tach comes on steady while cranking, it is definately your crank sensor. I had mine crap out 4 hours after buying my 92 auto. It would also start up when that light was not on while cranking and run for about 2 minutes and just die out.

The sensor is really not a do-it yourself project without the proper tools.

Anyway, best of luck.

Don

(P.S.) The yellow arrow thing was Fords Default to tell techs that they had a bad crank sensor!!!!!

The upshift light is not common knowlege. I knew a buddy of mine that worked on a SC at a ford dealership for about 3 hours, trying to figure out why it wouldn't start. They finally asked me to see if I could figure it out, and I did in about 10 minutes with a scanner. I didn't know about the upshift light either. It is amazing to me sometimes, when I read the post on this board how people figure some of this stuff out. In my defense, I did not have a SC at the time, and I only spent 10 minutes working on it not 3 hours like the other guy.

Anyways, Thanks for the tech tip. We should start a thread intitled tech tips, and put all this good information in it.

Tim

Thank you guys for the information. I think that i might have a shop do it i was looking at my repair manual and i dont want to mess with the timing just in case i get it off and the screw up my timming. Thanks.

Don't worry about the timing....it is set by the camshaft position sensor and is not adjustable. The crank sensor is a pain to replace, but you can do it.

I would look for the cause of the failure. Be sure to check the condition of the balancer and bolt. Typically when the crank sensor fails, it is due to a failure of the balancer bolt and the balancer itself. Reach into the center of the balancer pulley and see if the bolt is still attached to the crankshaft. Also, check to see if the balancer has sheared off flush with the timing chain cover. Grab the pulley and give it a yank. If it is loose, it is broken. You may need to remove the belts from the pulley before you can give it a good yank.

If it is broken, you have a couple of choices for tackling this repair. Let me know if you need some guidance (I've had to replace broken balancers three times.....buy a BHJ.....)

Back