would FORD remove upper ic tube for motor mounts?

pdennis93

im posting this for a friend of mine who got his motor mounts changed at ford a month or so back, and had his car in this past week for new belts, when he got the car back from the belts it wouldnt pull more than 5 lbs boost, he took the car back to the dealership and they ended up finding the top intercooler tube loose and charged him $75 to fix the leak, the dealership claims its "routine maintance" to have to adjust the ic tubes and that it was normal, alan claims (and i agree) that the top ic tube wasnt properly tightened from the motor mount job and that it probably worked itself loose and that the dealership should not charge him the $75.

i need info where it states that to change the motor mounts, you MUST remove that upper ic tube... i know when the shop did mine last year they had to. or more importantly would FORD remove the ic tube?

thanks for the help

please reply here, and or send info to glatzel313@aol.com

F@%# the dealer. They are real good at taking customer's hard cash but when it comes down to good service and goodwill, non-existent in my opinion. Thats one of the reasons why thier stock price is so low. The Firestone Tire thing being one and their dealings with the victims of the Explorer roll-overs. But they bend over backwards trying to sell their products. Really weird philosophy.

I think that your going to lose on that one. I didnt have to remove the intercooler tube to do mine. Also ask to see the techs notes on the RO if he wrote down that he removed the intercooler tube then you should have a case. Otherwise you just lost.

whatever tech had it didnt know what the **** he was doing, first off, the tech lists the car as being "turbocharged" then he proceeds to improperly remove the air out of the radiator leaving the car VERY low on coolant.

Ask to see the HARD copy of the RO, better yet ask to get a copy of it. I was a tech at a stealership for along time, and If I take a part off I always write it down, so that I'd get paid. If you don't write it on the ro you won't get paid. If he remove the intercooler pipe, he wrote it down, also look for tool marks on the collar, chance are 100% he didn't use the spanner wrench that he was supposed to.

Also the collar, is tighten to 100+ftlbs of torgue (I'm not sure the exact spec), and they are trying to tell you that it just vibrated loose.... sounds like a coverup.

Whats the name of the dealership so that everyone can steer clear of it.

Good luck
Tim

Section 02-03 Engine and Transmission Mounting
1994 Ford Thunderbird/Cougar Service Manual

Support Insulators, Front - Engine

3.8L Engine

The front engine support insulators (6038) are located on each side of the cylinder block. These procedures apply to either a RH or LH front engine support insulator installation ...

Removal

1. Remove fan shroud retaining screws.
2. Remove air cleaner outlet tube (9B659) to the engine air cleaner (ACL)(9600).
3. Raise vehicle on hoist. Refer to Section 00-02.
4. Place a jack and wood block under the engine.
5. Remove through bolt and retaining strap bolt (SC, LH) to the front sub-frame (5C 145).
6. Remove shift linkage.

CAUTION: Raise engine carefully so as not to damage lines and hoses at rear of engine.

7. Raise engine high enough to clear front sub-frame brackets.
8. Remove nut and any accessory and oil cooler line retaining clips from front engine support insulators.

NOTE: LH front engine support insulator removal on supercharged engine may require lowering front sub-frame.

9. Remove bolts retaining front engine support insulator to engine. REmove front engine support insulator.

In summary... at least for a '94, it does not specifically require the removal of the intercooler tubing.

I had my exhaust mechanic replace the left motor mount for me last summer. He did it all from underneath and did not remove the IC tube.

Jon

My mechanic decided it was too much like work to remove the engine mounts, and didn't! GRRR!

I did my own and did not need to remove the intercooler tube
but I know what you are saying about the dealership. I had my car there for a check engine light and they told me the cam sensor assembly was bad and needed $350.00 to start. The guy didnt know his *** from a hole in the ground. He asked me what kind of mods did I do and at this time the car was stock. I dont think this guy ever saw a SC before. Well I got my car as Quick as I can, cost me $100 to find out I need a cam sensor as the print out says. Cost me $27.00 at napa and the light has never come on again. Hawkinson Ford in oak lawn IL. GOOD LUCK

Back