lowering my sc

lostsoul74

hey guys, had my sc for about 2 months now, and do to winter I havnt had a chance to get under her, so I'm not sure what I'm dealing with. I want to lower her 1 3/4 rear and 2 in front. Though upstate NY has terrible roads, so as I've been looking at your post and reading on the net, the lowering springs I've found dont sound too impressive to my situation. Eibach only drops her 1 1/2, H&R is too stiff, intrax leaves front high and sags over time too much, sprint, etc........ I'm still looking into DropZones new springs for 101 from dropzonesuspension.com. But I've also been reading up on cutting the springs..... I know I know..... But reguardless of opinions, by cutting a coil, or so, you stiffin the spring rate, you may loose some of the progressive rate depending on how much coil is cut, but theyre still stiffer, not soft and bouncy so you bottom out, the struts and shocks control that. And with a baby on the way and the economic position the construction industry is in up here (I'm actually layed off) cutting sounds like the choice for now. If I'm not happy, then later when things are better I can do it right. But I'm not gona wait a year before getting around to being able to do it right. For now, looks are most important for spring coming up.

I need feedback from people who have cut theyre springs. I need to know exactly how much coil to cut to gain the desired effect I seek (2 front 1 3/4 rear) along with step by step. Reading on other rides it seem simple, just jack her up, rent or by some spring compressors, use my side grinder (with friend squirting water on it to limit heat transfer) and cut the desired coil amount from the bottom, rotate spring back into perch, do all 4 same, and your done.

Cant be that simple is it????? please gents, someone tell me step by step, and how much coil to cut....

also, what comprimise does this do to my arc, controlled ride, the struts shocks are electronic??? or just he dampener???? not a mechanic, just a carpenter.

thanks alot

eric

Last edited:
Try the non-tech or tech form for people that have chopped their springs. www.tccoa.com might also help. SC's are more often using just springs made for it rather than chopping them. Many more over at tccoa use the LX beasts for some crazy wild low riders.

They may have more input on cut springs. Though my recommendation would be to go to a suspension shop where they can possibly make you springs or find some for you that meet the designed performance without rolling the dice with cutting them.

ARC issues I can think of is that by dropping 2" you just cut into the travel of the shocks. The stock shocks might end up close to the end of their travel. Though I'm not familiar with the stroke lengths for the stock shocks.

thanks, i've checked out tccoa already, i cant post so i cant get better feedback on that one, but is it as simple as I stated, just jack, compress, and cut???? who knows how many coils exactly, or can take a good guess depending on how many coils they cut and how far it dropped.

need a step by step gents, thanks

Back